Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Oct 25, 2006, 11:28 AM
    False Positive Pregnancy Test
    I was wanting some sympathy I went to the doctor last Thursdayto have some blood work done since I had not started my period. They took a urine pregnancy test & there WAS a really faint line - which suggested that I was pregnant. I was SOOOOO excited! I was really surprised because I didn't really feel any different - but believe me I was happy. Then Friday morning the nurse called and said that they guessed the pregnancy test was defective because my blood test said I was NOT pregnant. This is such an emotional roller coaster! I'm OK - just disappointed. They prescribed my Provera to make me start - then I will begin my third round of Clomid (a fertility drug to help you ovulate). So - maybe next month. Just wanted some much needed sympathy - today is Wednesday & I am still thinking about it. Has anyone had a similar experience? Or someone had experience taking Clomid? Thanks.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Oct 25, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Eh... how long have you been trying to get pregnant, if that's the case? Let us know when you do! :)

Try this webbie: http://www.tryingtoconceive.com/clomid.htm

No, this doesn't sit right with me. I suggest you go see a different doctor's office for a second opinion, then see about getting a full exam.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 25, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Charlie, I am very sorry to hear your disappointing news! It is terrible to get your hopes up only to have them smashed to the ground. But you will get through this.

While most pregnancy tests give a false negative, false positives do happen. I am sure you know by now that the blood serum test is the most accurate.
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Oct 25, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Yes - the blood work confirmed that I was not. I know that I'm not.
    Thank you so much - like I said maybe next month:)
    KaCee Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Sorry about the unforunate news. I guess we're in the same Trying to conceive boat too. There's always next month.
    acoltrin Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Nov 7, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Sometimes when you take a early pregnancy test you may have been pregnant and the test is picking up some hormone. But then you for some reason miscarry and you have your period. If you never took that test you never would have known anything and you start your period when you are schedualed. This happened to me. I was having all the symptoms, took a early test. Saw a faint line. Told everyone I was pregnant and then had my period on schedule.
    I have 2 kids, no problems concieving. I have now been trying for the 3rd for 1year and 3months. No luck. Weird.
    shantell1979 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 01:25 PM
    I just finished my firtst round of clomid myself. I have been disappointed for the past five months of not getting pregnant, I really was not thinking how the clomid would do this time. Well I'm still waiting for a period to come. I about 3 days late. And I'm just waiting. I don't want to get all happy because I might be disappointed again.
    Alzaan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 03:44 AM
    Hi. I was just wondering - in January I got my periods in February it was just 2 days some spots, I'm nausea and tender breast. So last week I did a home test, positive! Exiting news! The next day I went for a blood test, It was negative!!
    Am I pregnant or not? What must I do? This is sooooo weird. I have 1 girl,she's turning 6 this year. We are trying now for 4years for baby no.2 - with no luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative test and pregnancy symptoms [ 14 Answers ]

I am so confused my periods are usually irregular I was supposed to of started my period around April 17 or so but, I had unprotected sex with my husband April 20th. I am not on birth control. Well on May 1st I had what I thought was my period and I think was my period but, it lasted 2 days. It...

How many days after a known ovulation date can a positive pregnancy test show? [ 15 Answers ]

I have been taking the medicine Clomid & have been really trying to get pregnant. My question is simple - I know the best time to test for pregnancy is after your missed period but my number of days between change. Last month it was 28 days & I circled the day on my calender that I could take an...

How soon can I take a home pregnancy test? [ 5 Answers ]

I think I may be experiencing implantation bleeding. This has been going on for about four days now. How soon can I take a home pregnancy test and trust the results?

Causing a negative pregnancy test? [ 2 Answers ]

I a supposed to leave for Basic Training next week... A few weeks ago I found out I was pregnant, had a d&c, so I a no longer pregnant. However, my hcg levels are still being detected by a pregnancy tests. Is there anything I can drink or do to get my hcg levels to drop back to normal more quick?...

View more questions Search