Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liquidjim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Underwater welding/ Sat diving
    1) what is the average annual salary for and underwater welder in canada?
    2) what work locations offer the best pay rates? (rivers, lakes, oceans)
    3) is it better to look for work abroad?
    4) what sort of bonuses/ perks are there in this field?
    5) what field offers a better pay rate, and why? Underwater welding or Saturation diving/welding

Any information at all would be great. I've only taken a few diving courses so far, no underwater welding courses... yet, so I'm pretty new to the hole thing so, again, if anyone can offer any information at all that would be stellar. THANKS!
    Sidnal Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Hi liquidjim!

I'm a commercial diver in America, so I'll give you the answers that I know.
    1) American wet-welders usually don't do *just* wet-welding, they cover a wide range of sub-sea tasks, from construction to burning/cutting, to ditch digging. A US diver (working in the Gulf of Mexico) will make in the 80-120k range, depending on how often you get called out to work, and how long you stay offshore.
    2) When working in the offshore (oceans) versus inshore (lakes, rivers, dams, water tanks), you earn 84 hours per week minimum, plus depth pay that averages about $1.50 per foot, with 44 hours being at the overtime rate of 150%. When working inland, you don't get near as many hours, but you can be at home a lot more often. Inland companies usually don't offer depth pay, but if you penetrate (say a pipeline, or a conductor under a dam) they offer penetration pay.
    3) Working abroad is up to you, but there are certification issues. Google IMCA.
    4) Bonuses? Hmpf. The work is hard and thankless, the days and nights long, but the money can be good. Most American companies offer a superb benefit package as well (insurance, 401k, etc.)
    5) Saturation diving is only done by the best of the best, don't look to get into Sat unless you have 5 or more years of experience. Sat pay is usually at a 24 hour rate, with 16 of those hours at overtime.

You can check out longstreath.com, offshorediver.com, they both have populated forums.

Good Luck!
    Sidnal
    ahud Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Sidnal, sorry for asking a question about a question the other guy posted.. I was wondering if you could tell me how long on average a job as an underwater welder takes. I live in Hawaii, as an underwater welder could I continue living in Hawaii or would I have to move to where I am working? From what I understand you mostly work on contract so I am just trying to get more info before I take the plunge and pay for the schooling.. Any info you could give me would be helpful as I am just getting my feet wet in the field and you are already doing it. Thanks.
    Sidnal Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 07:47 PM
    You'd need to move to the states, at least until you get 5-10 years experience and start working for independent contracts. You can't just go to school here in the states and expect to be hired out for experienced jobs on contract, it doesn't work like that. You'd be working for a dive company, usually in the Gulf of Mexico (most are located in Lousiana). Jobs last anywhere from 3 days to 3 years. The longer jobs, you generally stay out for a month or two, then go back to the beach for some rest. One thing to remember: it's feast or famine, sometimes (like now) there's not a lot of work, I personally haven't worked in almost two months.

Also, when you graduate, you aren't automatically a diver, you'll start as a Divers' Tender; running machinery on deck, feeding air hose to the diver, rigging, and just about every other thing that your seniors can dream up. Takes about 2-3 years to "break out" as a diver, and it's a loooong 2 or 3 years :(

Good Luck!
    f4t3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 09:16 AM
    Hello. Mr Sidnal.
    My name is mohammad hooshmand. I'm From Iran (tabriz)and I have 26 years old.
    First of all , sorry for my language ( English is very poor)
    I have some questions for u.
    My hob is welding (in my country) and because my country is EMBARGOED , I'm looking for Job (Permanent Job)
    For myself and my question is that :
    1) how can I RECEIVE a visa (for welding) in another country ?
    2) to the assumption that the I received my visa , How can I find a welding Job In Ur Country? (For example , I received a "Sport Visa" For 14 Day.)
    3) Costs such as job training "welded under water" and how much total time is required? And the guarantee of training for this job is about?
    ** If possible, send the answer to the following address ** : [email protected]
    And end of all , sorry again for my language (my language is Persian , and in my territory 80% of people can't speak EN ).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Need answers for Underwater Welding! [ 7 Answers ]

Underwater Welding -Qualifications- *What type of a person do employers of this job normally hire? -Availability- *What type of orginizations employ this job title? Are these orginizations found in Minnisota, or whould I have to move? -Salary- *What does a person starting in this field earn?...

Underwater welding [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much I can make as an underwater welder I heard you make $850 an h/r on a off shore rig, dive an hour and get paid for 8. that's 6800 a day. I am going to go to school for it,can I make that when I get out. Can I become a millionare?? Were is the most money?

Underwater welding companies? [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody know of any underwater welding companies in the southeast?

View more questions Search