Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keligrn Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Weight gain
    I recently rescued a severely malnourished shepherd type 6 month old puppy. He lived his whole life in a very small crate, he has the hair rubbed off his shoulders from trying to stand in it and his ears don't stand all the way up (but they are better after two weeks). He has been vet checked, wormed, neutered, and is on heartworm preventative.
    Thank goodness he doesn't have any neurotic behavior, he is a real sweet heart. My question is three fold:
    • I feed him a good quality food - IAMs Smart Puppy three times a day. It seems if I give him too much he gets diarrhea. If I feed more will the diarrhea subside?
    • At almost 25 inches at the shoulder he barely weighs 30 pounds. He has zero muscle mass, his hindend is just bones. Should I wait for him to gain weight or should I start an exercise program now? I dont mean run his legs off, just some walking or something to try to develop his atrophied muscles. Right now he has free roam of the yard and he usually just sits on the top of the hill and watches the world go by, only chasing the occasional squirrel or bird that lands in his yard. In the house he sits quietly by my feet.
    • He smells. I have bathed him five times and he still smells like roadkill. Apparently the abuse situation had plenty of deceased dogs around him and it has permeated him. His coat feels dead. I give him a shot of canola oil on his dog food. I have tried products that say will help his coat but nothing really helps. Its still brittle and dull. The only heartening thing is the little hairs growing back on his shoulders is velvety and a different color! Is there anything else I can do to help his coat?

Thank you. He is such a sweet heart. My life is better with him in it!

keligrn Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keligrn
    I recently rescued a severely malnourished shepherd type 6 month old puppy. He lived his whole life in a very small crate, he has the hair rubbed off his shoulders from trying to stand in it and his ears dont stand all the way up (but they are better after two weeks). He has been vet checked, wormed, neutered, and is on heartworm preventative.
    Thank goodness he doesnt have any neurotic behavior, he is a real sweet heart. My question is three fold:
    • I feed him a good quality food - IAMs Smart Puppy three times a day. It seems if I give him too much he gets diarrhea. If I feed more will the diarrhea subside?
    • At almost 25 inches at the shoulder he barely weighs 30 pounds. He has zero muscle mass, his hindend is just bones. Should I wait for him to gain weight or should I start an exercise program now? I dont mean run his legs off, just some walking or something to try to develop his atrophied muscles. Right now he has free roam of the yard and he usually just sits on the top of the hill and watches the world go by, only chasing the occasional squirrel or bird that lands in his yard. In the house he sits quietly by my feet.
    • He smells. I have bathed him five times and he still smells like roadkill. Apparently the abuse situation had plenty of deceased dogs around him and it has permeated him. His coat feels dead. I give him a shot of canola oil on his dog food. I have tried products that say will help his coat but nothing really helps. Its still brittle and dull. The only heartening thing is the little hairs growing back on his shoulders is velvety and a different color! Is there anything else I can do to help his coat?

Thank you. He is such a sweet heart. My life is better with him in it!
    Ah! Newbie! I posted twice!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Give him time, you just got him. He needs some time to gain weight and find his feet, as for the exercise I'd ask your vet, I can't see him so I don't know what to tell you, your vet will. It sounds like he is already growing a new coat to replace that which rubbed off, the rest should follow shortly.

Lots of love, attention and training and you'll have a great addition to your home. Congratulations and bless you for rescuing one of the lost ones.

Good Luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
    I wouldn't push him on the exercise or food. Yes walk him, but if he lags or shows other sign of tiredness, stop. Feed him at least 3-4 cups of food perhaps breaking it down into 2 meals a day. Keep in touch with the vet.

And yes, thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want to gain weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi friends I'm 19 years old, 110lbs and 168 cms I'm very thin I want to gain weight and look good So hlp me in this Waiting for your reply

I need to gain some weight! [ 6 Answers ]

I am way to skinny. Im 19 and I still only way 100 pounds!! Its get me frustrated when I see other girls who acutally have butts and curves... I don't no what to do anymore I eat so much but it just doesn't help.. I really need help because this is creating no self of steem and I don't even want...

How to gain weight [ 2 Answers ]

My son not eating solid anything only taking liquid what can I do

Weight Gain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Was not to sure which category to put this under. Well I am a 33 year old female and I am 5'1 and weight about 95 or 96 lbs. I think I am underweight. But I eat like a pig. I am not picky at all with what I eat. So how would I go about gaining weight? What should I weight? I used to...

View more questions Search