Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 14, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Rabies shot
    Where we live there has never been a documented case of rabies. Because of this there aren't many dogs who are vaccinated. We never got my dog vaccinated because he's tied all the time, except for when we go to our camp he runs free. It does cost quite a bit to vaccinate him because you have to vaccinate him for 2 other things with it. If I could save up enough money do you think it would be a good idea to vaccinate him. I don't know what I would do if he ever did get in a fight with a racoon and he wasn't vaccinated.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 14, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123
    Where we live there has never been a documented case of rabies. Because of this there aren't many dogs who are vaccinated. We never got my dog vaccinated because he's tied all the time, except for when we go to our camp he runs free. It does cost quite a bit to vaccinate him because you have to vaccinate him for 2 other things with it. If I could save up enough money do you think it would be a good idea to vaccinate him. I don't know what I would do if he ever did get in a fight with a racoon and he wasn't vaccinated.
    Most definitely! Tho I frown on a lot of gov regs, I would have no prob making it mandatory for pets - dog, cat, ferret... to get rabies shot. Just because there have not yet been reports, doesn't mean there haven't been rabid animals in your area. It's a simple procedure that can prevent a lot of grief. The other shots you mention - parvo, distemper? I'd get them too, but are they required with the rabies vac? Many areas have clinics that offer free or reduced rabies vac. Check with your local animal shelter (fire dept may even have info on them).

Good luck. (I had a Border collie f/ 19 yrs - even went to college classes w/ me. But I always thought huskies are beautiful critters)

Jun 14, 2008, 12:43 PM
    It's a package deal. We don't have any where around here to help financially. I'll try to have him vaccinated before the end of the summer.
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

Jun 14, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Where u live can u self-vaccinate? OTC Vaccs are less expensive. I buy mine from the vet so I know they were handled properly. The only thing I cannot do is canine rabies.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 14, 2008, 02:32 PM
    The reason that there hasn't been a documented case of rabies is likely because
    People are vaccinating their pets against it. It is very important that you get
    Your dog vaccinated, this is something that should have been considered before
    Purchasing a dog, it is up to the owner to provide all necessities that a pet needs,
    If you cannot afford it then don't get the pet. Sorry if that's harsh, but it is reality.

Do you realize that if your dog is not vaccinated against rabies and he bites a human,
    That person will have to undergo unbearable exams, needles etc. to make sure that they
    Have not contracted rabies?

As a pet owner you must keep your dogs shots up to date, it doesn't matter what
    Others are doing, they won't pay for the medical bills should your dog get sick or
    Make someone else sick.

Please get him vaccinated.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    The reason that there hasn't been a documented case of rabies is likely because
    people are vaccinating their pets against it. It is very important that you get
    your dog vaccinated, this is something that should have been considered before
    purchasing a dog, it is up to the owner to provide all necessities that a pet needs,
    if you cannot afford it then don't get the pet. Sorry if that's harsh, but it is reality.

Do you realize that if your dog is not vaccinated against rabies and he bites a human,
    that person will have to undergo unbearable exams, needles etc. to make sure that they
    have not contracted rabies?
    Actually, since he's in a low-rabies area, it's more likely that they will just check the dog to see if it has rabies before undergoing the anti-rabies protocol. Of course, that means killing the dog and dissecting the brain for signs of rabies. So it's good for the human, but bad for the dog.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 14, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Generally if a dog bites a person, the dog will go into quarantine for 10 days. If the animal is not showing signs of Rabies in that period, it would not have been shedding virus at the time of the bite. (Laws vary of course, but that is the most common approach.)
    I would definitely see to it that the dog gets his Rabies shot, and I would recommend getting it from the vet. Again, I am speaking about where I live, but here a dog vaccinated with an OTC vaccine is not considered properly vaccinated. It's not because it takes a brain surgeon to give a shot, but when you buy from a store you really don't know how the vaccine has been handled before it got to you. I have seen Rabies vaccines being sold without refrigeration--they have to be kept cold continuously from manufacture to administration or they lose their potency.
    There hasn't been a case of Rabies here for years either, but there has been a lot of importation of wildlife, we have more raccoons and coyotes than we used to around here. I heard of one lady in the southern part of the state whose unvaccinated cat acquired Rabies from a bat that got into her house! It's not worth taking chances.

Jun 15, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Thanks. And I will get him vaccinated in August.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rabies shot side effects and homeopathy remedies [ 2 Answers ]

My dog had a rabies shot 2 days ago after being quarantined for biting trying to protect me from someone coming over our fence into our yard. After the 10 day hold my baby has a runny nose, he ate his food then threw it up and it has a good amount of mucus in it. He's not as happy or playful like...

Puppies and rabies shot [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering when puppies need their first rabie shot? attitude84

Rabies shot reaction [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 lb Jack Russell became extremley lethargic and anxious for 2 days following a rabies booster,distemper booster, and kennel cough vacine(nasal). Would it be better to have these vacines on separate visits? Which one would most likely cause this reaction?

Rabies [ 7 Answers ]

My dog has an auto immune disorder my vet has suggested no more vaccinations except for rabies. Her disorder is very rare and I am worried if we get the rabie shot that her health will be at jeopardy. She is 5 years old and has been vaccinated until she was 3. Is the rabie shot mandatory I live in...

Rabies? Kujo? [ 2 Answers ]

I was at my uncle ans aunts farm, and they have a st.bernard. He's very nice and friendly... most of the time, but the last time I was out, me and my mom were sitting in the shade with the dog. And petting him, and he went haywire, and bit me and my mom, and a 200 pound dog biting you doesn't leave...

View more questions Search