Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lene1071 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 11:11 AM
    How do I become bondable in Canada?
    How do I become bondable in Canada? Is there a legal procedure you have to go through or a specific place you would have to go to get this done. I am not currently working at a place that would offer me the info on getting started with this. Thanks for any assistance in this area.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 09:57 PM
    (Question moved from Introductions to more appropriate topic area in order to get the most exposure to those best able to answer the question.)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Hello:

I'm not sure what you mean. If you're not a felon, then you're probably "bondable" right now. You just don't have a bond. Call up a bonding company and ask them to sell you one. I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

However, without a job, I don't know why you think you need a bond. Actually, you don't.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lene1071
    How do I become bondable in Canada? Is there a legal procedure you have to go through or a specific place you would have to go to get this done. I am not currently working at a place that would offer me the info on getting started with this. Thanks for any assistance in this area.

In the US you are bonded for certain employment and in my case I had to list my employment duties and responsibilities - same with my liability insurance. Different rates, for example, if you are working a cashier's desk or if you're the receptionist, if you're the Attorney or the Paralegal.

I don't know that you can get bonded if you are not employed. What would they be bonding against?

Call an insurance agent and ask.
    SuzyQT2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 09:43 PM
    As far as I know the term "Bondable" means if you are "Insurable". If a Company/ Employer deals with finance, or some sort of money exchange etc. they need to protect themselves against fraud and/or theft from Employees. If a criminal act is traced back to an Employee who has committed a crime then the Employer is covered by Insurance for the amount that was stolen and could not be recovered.

As long as you do not have a criminal record or are a high-risk for criminal activities, then you are already Bondable, meaning you are Insurable. If you are red flagged or give off any warning signs that you are a high risk to the Employer or Insurance company then obviously you are not Bondable.

If an Employer is asking potential Employees if they are bondable usually means the company deals with money, such as Collection Agencies/ Call Centers, Banks etc. so they usually run a criminal record check and amazingly enough can even ask permission to run a credit history report
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQT2002
    As far as I know the term "Bondable" means if you are "Insurable". If a Company/ Employer deals with finance, or some sort of money exchange etc. they need to protect themselves against fraud and/or theft from Employees. If a criminal act is traced back to an Employee who has committed a crime then the Employer is covered by Insurance for the amount that was stolen and could not be recovered.

As long as you do not have a criminal record or are a high-risk for criminal activities, then you are already Bondable, meaning you are Insurable. If you are red flagged or give off any warning signs that you are a high risk to the Employer or Insurance company then obviously you are not Bondable.

If an Employer is asking potential Employees if they are bondable usually means the company deals with money, such as Collection Agencies/ Call Centers, Banks etc. so they usually run a criminal record check and amazingly enough can even ask permission to run a credit history report

You can also be refused for a poor credit track record - anything that would leave you open to temptation. Sometimes Notaries are bonded, also process servers, investigators, in addition to liability insurance.

If one company refuses to bond a person, another company may write the policy/bond. A lot depends on the company and the reason for the bond, the type of employment, questions of that nature.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 01:51 AM
    Comments on this post
    Greg Quinn agrees: Now that's a mouthful.
    Thank you! I resemble that remark! :D
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2008, 05:39 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post: Lene1071 agrees: thanks a lot. it does make a lot of sense.. I was asked the question prior to employment.. wasn't sure what they mean...[/QUOTE]

I always find the "are you bondable" question to be, for lack of another word - sneaky. Who is going to blurt out, "No, I've been arrested for [fill in the blank]."

I'm sure anyone (with any sense) says yes.

I continue to be amazed at what HR tries to get away with - my niece applied for a job, nothing was said about children and then HR said, "I would imagine you have child care arrangements in place if you have to work overtime?"

I think that's pushing the limits a little bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canada [ 3 Answers ]

What's is another name for Canada's legislure?

Canada to the US [ 2 Answers ]

I live in canada and I just laid charges with assault and breaking and entering against my ex. How easy would it be for her to cross the american border if at all? She has not been convicted yet but I have a witness to both occasions.

Going to Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Did that go into effect to need a passport to go to Canada this year? We want to go up this summer?

View more questions Search