Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qh2000askm Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2015, 10:10 AM
    Converting from traditional Rollover IRA to Roth IRA
    I am planning to convert 5% of my traditional Rollover IRA to Roth IRA. Do I have to pay 10% penalty ? I am 57 now. I understand that I have to pay taxes on that 5% portion.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 26, 2015, 11:47 AM
    As long as you do this as a direct rollover there are no issues to worry about with respect to paying a penalty, because it's not a withdrawal. However, if you don't do this as a direct rollover - meaning you get a check from your current IRA account and then deposit that into a new Roth account - you run the risk of possibly having to pay a penalty. Reason is that the check you receive from the traditional IRA will automatically have 20% withheld for income taxes, but to avoid a penalty the amount you deposit into the new Roth IRA must equal the pre-tax amount of the withdrawal. In other words you would have to come up with the cash to make up the 20% withheld or else that 20% is considered an early withdrawal which would trigger the penalty. Also, if you don't make the deposit of the full pre-tax amount into the new Roth within 60 days of the withdrawal, it triggers both income tax and penalty. So clearly the best way to do this is as a direct rollover from your existing traditional IRA account to the new Roth account. The manager of your new Roth account ought to be able to handle the direct rollover for you with no fuss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth vs Traditional IRA [ 1 Answers ]

My wife left her job, and we want to roll/move her pension into a IRA. I know that if we "roll" it over to a Traditional IRA, that there are no taxes on it, if we get a check and put it into a Roth IRA, than we will get a 20% federal tax on it. My question is, are we better off rolling it over...

Roth vs traditional IRA [ 1 Answers ]

So with a roth Ira you only pay if the roth grows... on the IRA you pay a penalty? Is there a limit on each one?

Roth And Traditional IRA questions. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All... What I am looking for is in case I put my money in Roth can I put my money in a traditional IRA too i.e. can I max out both the IRA's? If the answer is yes then can I actually convert my traditional to Roth (after some time)? If the answer is yes then what is the procedure i.e....

View more questions Search