Feb 29, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Slander/defamation in the workplace
    How much can I sue a company for slander/defamation by an employer
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevieo

Need more info before answering - what was said, who was given the info, how were you harmed, did you suffer a financial loss?
    Stevieo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Not sure what was said but coworkers and sales reps avoided me

I was harassed, retaliated against, defamed, locked in an hr employees office for 20 minutes, then fired. When I complained about all of it from start to finish - I was retaliated against and fired for it. I feel something damaging was said because coworkers/sales reps stop talking to me and alienated me.
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Not sure what was said but coworkers and sales reps avoided me

I was harassed, retaliated against, defamed, locked in an hr employees office for 20 minutes, then fired. When I complained about all of it from start to finish - I ws retaliated against and fired for it. I feel something damaging was said because coworkers/sales reps stop talking to me and alienated me.

You'd have to find out what was said in order to take action - will someone you used to work with talk to you about it? There must be someone who is not on the side of management.

Sounds like a terrible work situation (to say the least)!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 11:35 AM
    What had you done that they were reacting against?

Feb 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Nobody was/is talking to me about it - I had friends and they all turned against me because of what was said. It must have been horrible because people were afraid of me as if they had reason to. I have no idea what was actually said but I fear it was extremely harmful regarding my character. One coworker even jumped when I said hello to her?

Feb 29, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I think they said something to cause fear, apprehension, etc. I was treated like a criminal.

Feb 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
    I asked a gentleman in human resources to inquire about it and he said no. Somebody in a position of power told everyone not to help me and/or lied about it. There lawyer said I was disruptive and I wasn't. I think everyone knows they did it but are now saying. . I had it coming, I made them do it, etc. so they won't get sued.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Did you maybe say something jokingly that everyone hearing it freaked out over? With all the shootings lately, people are very on edge.

Feb 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
    No.. .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Hmmmm... just thinking out loud here...

How were workplace relations before this? How long had you worked there?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Hello Stevieo:

You can't sue the company unless he's an officer or manager of the company. You can sue for the amount of your damages. That's the total that his slander cost you in dollar terms. And, you need to PROVE your loss. For example, you'll have to show where you would have gotten a raise but didn't because of the slander.

excon
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I asked a gentleman in human resources to inquire about it and he said no. Somebody in a position of power told everyone not to help me and/or lied about it. There lawyer said I was disruptive and I wasn't. I think everyone knows they did it but are now saying . .I had it coming, I made them do it, etc. so they won't get sued.

What specific disruptive behavior did they allege? Again - you have to have specifics in order to make a claim although the type of claim you are considering is very, very difficult to prove, particularly if no one is "on your side."

I don't know why an entire workplace would turn on you - did you have problems before this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
    An employer can fire you for any and no reason these days. I don't understand what could have been said to your co-workers for them to have avoided you. What exactly did the employer say that would be considered slander on their part? Just the co-workers stonewalling is not enough to file a slander suit on your part. An attorney will ask you these same questions we do here and will need much more information in order to file a successful suit for you.

Mar 4, 2008, 12:40 PM
    People in positions power have told them not to help me. People are usually embarrassed by accusations - especially accusations against people when nothing was done about it. I'm sure not everyone was against me but most were and were told to do it. Besides, being African American - people have a tendency to believe someone white when they defend accusations from someone who is black. All it takes is someone in a position of power and authority to tell someone NOT TO help me. The ENTIRE company was not against me - most did not know what was going on but those who mattered or were in the same department - were told to act against me.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Hello again, Steve:

Yeah, there's lots of companies out there that aren't run as well as you and I would run them. And yes, lots of bosses are nasty, but I don't think it's worth a lawsuit in your case. Just don't put 'em down as a reference.

Of course, if you can prove you were discriminated against because of your race, that's a different matter. But slander, it ain't.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Lets cut to the chase here. You can't prove slander or defamation unless you have some proof that someone lied about you resulting in some damages to you.

If no one is talking to you, you have nothing to bring a cause of action about.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 01:19 PM
    people in positions power have told them not to help me. People are usually embarrassed by accusations - especially accusations against people when nothing was done about it. I'm sure not everyone was against me but most were adn were told to do it. Besides, being African American - people have a tendency to believe someone white when they defend accusations from someone who is black. All it takes is someone in a position of power and authority to tell someone NOT TO help me. The ENTIRE company was not against me - most did not know what was going on but those who mattered or were in the same department - were told to act against me.

I have specifically asked you if you had prior problems and what disruptive behavior is being alleged and you have chosen not to answer for whatever reason.

Mar 4, 2008, 03:06 PM
    I was fired for whatever was said about me and whatever was said was not true. People avoided me including coworkers and sales reps and I was fired without any money and my unemployment was held up for months and they said because I was disruptive and for gross misconduct which I never did either. I have been banned for applying for jobs at their subsidiaries and affiliates and I have no idea who they are. Something was said about me that is not true and it made others fear me whenever I approached them. I don't understand how I cannot sue for defamation of character. I as maligned by my supervisor and her suoervisor and I don't have a case??
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I was fired for whatever was said about me adn whatever was said was not true. people avoided me including coworkers and sales reps and I was fired without any money and my unemployment was held up for months and they said because I was disruptive and for gross misconduct which I never did either. I have been banned for applying for jobs at their subsidiaries and affiliates and I have no idea who they are. something was said about me that is not true and it made others fear me whenever I approached them. I don't understand how I cannot sue for defamation of character. I as maligned by my supervisor and her suoervisor and I don't have a case? ? ? ? ? ??????????????????

You definitely have a case if what you have posted is true - you were fired because of unfounded accusations of being disruptive and for gross misconduct and you have also been banned from applying for employment at subsidiaries and affiliates.

Okay now that it's established that you have a case how are you going to prove that what they said was untrue and defamed you... when you have no idea what was said or who it was said to?

I keep asking you the same question: WHAT IS YOUR PROOF? HOW DID THEY COME TO THESE CONCLUSIONS? I find it impossible to believe that no one said "this is what you did" or "this is what we think you did." Impossible.

Thinking and knowing are one thing; proving is another. Maybe you were as vague on the job as you are on this thread - ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue for slander/defamation of character & harassment? [ 22 Answers ]

I have been dealing with someone harassing my family & I for more than three years. She follows me often. Has mailed letters to myself & my husband as well as taping letters on the door of his place of employment. She is constantly confronting my teenage daughters, other family members and friends...

Slander , Libel and defamation of Character [ 2 Answers ]

How hard is it to prove that someone has defamed your character and is it something worth pursuing? They used the word allegedly in the newspaper, but the story was completely fabricated and untrue. Is it worth pursuing since people believed the story was true. Thank you

Slander and Defamation of Character [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can sue my husbands x-wife for stating on paper through her attorney that I have called her daughter a lesbian. Also, for stating that I have tried to cause her child harm by sending elicit pictures of her daughter to the school she attends. All these are wrongful and...

Defamation? [ 32 Answers ]

I am suing an establishment for overserving the driver of a car I was in that was hit by another car... confusing I know... the establishment is now threatening to sue me for defamation saying that I have ruined its reputatioin... can I be sued for suing?

View more questions Search