Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fella174 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 03:11 PM
    One room dimmer installation / dimmer works but no power in room
    I have installed a remot ctrl dimmer in one room & now all 2 of my power outlets seems not to work. The installation was one pole & I shut off the power to the upstairs area of my house by using the cirucit breaker. Once aligning all the wires & positioning the dimmer to replace the on & off switch / power back the upstairs portion of my house & the entire area has power as well my dimmer turns on & off but the power sockets in my one room doesn't work. I have uninstalled the dimmer to see if it was high voltage but all still doesn't work whereas what ctrl the power flow in the upstairs are still works. What to do ?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 9, 2008, 02:41 AM
    Well, you either made a wiring mistake somewhere, or one of the wires to the outlets is not connected properly.

IF standard wire callers are used, (red=hot / white=neutral / ground=green), you should have in the outlet box that connects to your supply breaker cuircuit :

1 green --> to all ground points in the circuit.
    2-white ---> to all lights, outlets, and dimmer (depending on the type of dimmer). Also to any other distribution box (if present).
    3-red -----> to the light switch or dimmer, and all outlets. Also to any other distribution box (if present).
    4-black ---> (switching wire) from dimmer to lights

Just recheck the wiring!

;)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    3-red -----> to the light switch or dimmer, and all outlets. Also to any other distribution box (if present).
    4-black ---> (switching wire) from dimmer to lights
    Here in the US the black is typically a constant hot and a red is either switched or another constant hot.
    This is determined by the installer.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Either a Hot or Neutral came loose. Easier to recheck all connections in Dimmer Box.
    If you wanted to see which was lost, you can plug in a extension cord in known good outlet,
    Bring female end of extension cord near an outlet that is out, then Measure voltage with 1 Probe in receptacle neutral and 1 in the cord hot, if you have 120 volts, neutral is intact, then one probe in receptacle hot and cord Neutral for reference.
    I would check box wires can break if nicked while stripping. Good Luck.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    Here in the US the black is typically a constant hot and a red is either switched or another constant hot.
    This is determined by the installer.
    Thanks for that info! I'll keep that in mind!
    (Here in Europe hot=brown, neutral=blue, switch=black, ground=green)
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power going to 1 outlet in living room [ 13 Answers ]

I have a outlet in my house that doesn't work. It seems to be the only one. I need to get this fixed because I am selling the house and everything needs to be in working condition. I tried testing the plug in to see if there was any power going to it and there doesn't seem to be. I tried hitting...

Interior room-to-room noise reduction [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I just moved into a home in Wheaton, IL. The house is great except for one thing: you can easily hear through the walls. For example, the master bathroom was placed along the main hallway, and you can hear... everything... not what you want when entertaining guests! I've read about...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Lost power in laundry room [ 1 Answers ]

The power went out the other day and I reset the breakers. Everything came back on and acted normal. 10 min later the laundry room and every outlet that shared an outlet with the laundry room lost power. I replaced the breaker for that room but it didn't work. I'm lost. Please help

Laundry room power requirements [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer set in my laundry room. There is a dedicated, 20A circuit for the room which serves two receptacles and two overhead 50W low voltage lights. Both the washer and dryer are plugged into one of the receptacles and there is nothing else plugged into the other...

View more questions Search