Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    16hisbabygurl04 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Military
    Okay, So My father was in the war of Iraq and he got discharged a few years ago. He is disabled now, and he got a purple heart from president Bush. I kind of need and I kind of want to see his military records. But I can't find anything online for free. I don't really have access to a library or a court house or anything like that. I need help finding a place online to help me see this for free and with NO hidden charges. Can ANYONE help me?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Why do you need to see his records?

Jan 22, 2013, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Why do you need to see his records?
    So I can get them to him, and so I can look up some stuff. I am curious as well.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:06 AM
    They aren't online. You can't get them. If he wants them he can request them.

Jan 22, 2013, 08:09 AM
    They aren't online. You can't get them. If he wants them he can request them.
    But everyone I have asked said they were, If you think they aren't I will try and find them somewhere else
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:11 AM
    If you are curious, ask your dad.

I still don't understand your need to know.

Jan 22, 2013, 08:13 AM
    If you are curious, ask your dad.

I still don't understand your need to know.
    He doesn't remember because of his issues from the war. I need to know so I can help, Plus its for his therapy like I said in the question. I'm curious also, me being his daughter I think I can know these things.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:19 AM
    How old are you?

If it's for his therapy he can sign a release for his therapist to request this information.

Being his daughter gives you no automatic right to his military information just as you don't have a right to his medical information unless he gives the military and/or his doctors written authorization to release this info to you.

These are personal, private, and protected records.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 AM
    They are not available online and would not be free at all.
    Your father will need to write for them, and HE can get them, not you.

So if he does not know and wants to know, he merely asks for them. If he has trouble with it, there will be a service officer at any of the VFW or American Legion Posts that would be glad to help him.

You have no rights as a daughter to see them unless he allows it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
    Your father's medical records, quite frankly, are none of your business. You have enough teenage angst going on.

You seem to disagree with experts who have told you you can get his records because other people have said you can. Ask those other people how and then let us know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting into the Military [ 4 Answers ]

How do I get into the military(Army, Navy, Marines, etc. if I have a felony conviction? Who should I contact to get in?

Military to Military Marriage Different Home of Records [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I both are active duty military and we have two different "Home of Records". My husband is a NC resident and I am a TN resident (no state tax) I am trying to file MFJ for federal. Everything went well until I went to file state taxes for him. How do I do this? Can I file federal...

I want to go in the military [ 2 Answers ]

How do I lose 50lb in 1 month

The Military. [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 18 years old involved with a 20 year old Marine. He was my first serious boyfriend. We have been together for over a year, and have known each other for over 2 years now. He has been in the military since last summer. Obviously, we could handle 3 months of only having letters as contact during...

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

View more questions Search