Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littleone01 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 11:49 AM
    FAINTED during colposcopy
    Hi

I was just curious, today I had a colposcopy done, and towards the end I felt very light headed and nauscious; my pulse dropped dramatically and almost fainted. I was placed on a stretcher and stayed there for 2 hours until my pulse came back up and for the pain to go away . Im just curious as to why this may have happened. The nurses had little to tell me, and how can I prevent this from happening again ?
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jan 29, 2007, 12:52 PM
    I don't know why it happened, but I had one done last week and they gave me Motrin and an antinausea med before they began. They did tell me that a lot of women will faint when having the procedure done, just as some women faint when having their finger pricked. Don't really know why it happens... sorry. Hope this makes you at least feel better!

Jan 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
    :) Honestly, your answer does cheer me up a little.. wish they would have told me the potential side effects first, as they did with you! In my case, the lady ahead of me, was undergoing somewhat the same procedure as I, and I could hear her yell.. the doctor and nurses kind of laughed about it.. and told me not to worry..
    Anyhow... I was curious to as... did taking the motrin first help? Maybe next time, I can take an advil or two before they start?
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Jan 30, 2007, 08:32 AM
    I had one done 9 years ago or so, and I yelled too. They only numbed me a little and gave me nothing before hand. All the doctor kept saying is he was almost done and that went on for like 20 minutes. I didn't get any pep talk on the side effects either, or what could happen during so yes Automansgirl you're very lucky. It hurt so bad and then for a few weeks or so after I had all that brown yuck discharge coming from me and I was just in a lot of pain.. All they kept saying it was normal and it would go away with time... The moral of the story, I switched doctors no sense in having a non compasionated OB/GYN.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jan 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Well, I hope you won't have to have another one. If you do have to have any other procedures I would call your doctor to find out if they are going to give you anything before hand. The motrin helped me quite a bit. I was pretty good until about 8 hours later. I took a couple more motrin and it helped. I found out today that I have to have a procedure called "LEEP" in a couple of weeks. I don't have cancer, but if left alone it will turn to cancer. Don't know if you know anything about it, but they take a small tool with a loop on the end of it. They basically remove and cauterize the area in one motion. I am fortunate to have a really good OB/GYN and I just started going to him about a month ago. Hopefully you won't have to have the other procedure, but if you do make sure you ask your doc lots of questions about exactly what they are going to do. Hopefully you will be able to prevent fainting and all the pain! My major complait is that in the midst of all of this my husband and I are trying to get pregnant! It's kind of hard to do when you can't have sex! Good luck, and I hope this helped. If you have any other questions that I might be able to help you with just send me an email ([email protected]). Otherwise just post it here and I'll put in my two cents if I can!

Jan 30, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the feedback girls.. it really helped..
    I don't know if doctors assume that we know all these thing about what's going on.. but I know for my part I didn't. Ok, yes they talked me through the procedure, but I didn't know they were going to take a biopsy or that it would hurt.. and well its kind of hard to object especially when... well you understand.. ( lets just say I wasn't in the most comfortable positions to object )!! :o
    Either way, I had the procedure done, and I am glad to say that today I am feeling much better.. I still have some pain.. not so much cramping but more soarness.. you know.. the kind after a rough night in the sack!! :p.. I went for a jog today.. and well I had a bit of pain.. and bleeding.. bu that's it !
    I wanted to say thank you automan's girl, for the advice.. I am 100 % sure that I will have some secondary procedure done, like LEEP or Freezing.. from what I gather I have one or two lesions in the form of a high grade dysplasia.. like you, its not cancer but I will definitely need to have treatment.
    I will keep both of you informed, and I would appreciate an email or a post here automansgirl.. just to tell me how your treatment went .
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Jan 31, 2007, 08:02 AM
    I wish you well for future procedures if it comes to that. I was in the last stage of displasia when I had mine done. They took a biopsy the whole nine yards. Everything is fine now. I was 16 when I had that done. I went every 3 months, 6 months and now back to yearly for my pap's. Why do women have to concor so much more then men. They get off a little to easy all the things we have to deal with... menstrual cycles, breast exam/mamogram, having children(which is a beautiful thing, I have two), but still it appears to me they get off way to easy. :)

Feb 1, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Hi Julie,

Just wanted to thank you for the positive words of encouragement.. I sincerely appreciate it :p
    I spoke to a girlfriend, whose mom is a gynecologist, and she seems to think that it was normal ( me not being frozen and all )... she says, well to be frozen, that requires some form of an anesthesiologist, and well they just aren't always around.. and well for a biopsy, they figured, I could tuff it out..
    Anyway.. Im glad to say, the pain is gone.. yet I still have some unwanted 'leakage'.
    I will definitely keep you up to date, and I am glad to know, that threw all of this , you were able to have children.. as that was my greatest fear!! :eek: -xxx-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search