Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Natasha1657 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Deprovera Shot?
    :confused:

I'm just wondering how long you have until the shot wears off? I am waiting for my insurance to go through, but in the meantime I am 5 days past the due date for my next shot! So I am just wondering how likely it is that I will get pregnant and am I taking a big risk having sex while I'm waiting for the shot? Thanks!
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Jan 8, 2007, 09:39 PM
    I think this is one of those situations where it may be different for each person. One person may be "safe" for another month, while you may only be "safe" for a couple of hours.
    Your best bet would be to not take any chances and use an alternate type of protection.
    Better safe then sorry.
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Jan 8, 2007, 09:58 PM
    When you receive the first injection, you will be given a date 12 weeks later. That is the date your next injection is due. If necessary you may receive the injection up to 14 days early or up to seven days late. However, if you have not received your injection within 13 weeks after the last injection, you must immediately begin using an alternative method of birth control or abstain from intercourse. Pregnancy testing will be required before you can receive another Depo-ProveraŽ injection.

From Depo-Provera - birth control information
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Jan 9, 2007, 10:16 AM
    I agree with both answers. I was on Depo for 6 yrs. I missed the injection date on occasion and had to take 2 pregnancy test before they would give me an injection. It is not good to miss them, it can throw the whole program off.
    pimpmomma Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
    I would say your next period will be anywhere around a month to start and it will continue for a month or so and I really don't believe that you will have to worry about getting pregnant while waiting it takes up to about 6 months for the shot to clear out of your system
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Mar 12, 2007, 12:39 PM
    6 months or better for some, maybe a few months for others. I bled forever after getting off the shot, not sure of the consequences of missing one, but I think you're correct there pimpmomma. I knew a girl that got pregnant a month after missing an injection. Another had to take 2 pregnant. Test before getting another one.
    pinksnoopy Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Natasha1657
    :confused:

I'm just wondering how long you have until the shot wears off? I am waiting for my insurance to go through, but in the meantime I am 5 days past the due date for my next shot! So I am just wondering how likely it is that I will get pregnant and am I taking a big risk having sex while I'm waiting for the shot? Thanks!
    You should wait until the first day of a period before the next injection if you have missed the window - but the window of time to have the shot varies with different surgeries - it is 10 weeks to 12 weeks - depending on the doctors they may insist every 10 weeks or be more flexible - either way I don't think 5 days will make much difference although they will probably give you a pregnancy test to make sure!
    Lady1717 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
    If I were you, I would stop taking the shot. I was on the shot for 2 years. When I stopped using it everything went bad. First, the first 3 months I stopped, I didn't get my period. But when I did, I bled for 3 weeks straight! The first week was the worst because it was so heavy I felt weak all the time. I went to the doctor and of course he said it was normal. Because all bodies are different. It's been 2 years since I'm not on the shot and just recently I've been having severe cramps. This is the worst part about it... I went to the doctor and they told me that I might have a tumor in my whomb. He said it might be because of the shot. It came out negative, everything is fine. But just to think that maybe I could have gotten that tumor I will never go on the shot again! I also heard from stories similar to mine from other girls. And most doctors have told me that the best way to go is on the pill. Then again, this is only me and my experience with the shot. Good luck! :)
    rosepedal Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

May 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Im not sure in your case but Ive been off the depo for a year now and still am not pregnant and Ive been trying. I wouldn't take that as assurance. I just wanted you to know that the depo has a lot of bad side effects that they don't tell you about before you start taking the shot. I would suggest looking on the internet about the side effects and maybe trying a different birth control
    Elizabeth13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2007, 08:50 AM
    [QUOTE=Natasha1657]:confused:

I'm just wondering how long you have until the shot wears off?I have taken depo for 6months *2shots*. I have quit due to terrible depression ailments. I have been on my period for or bleeding for a month and a half. I stopped bleeding (FINALLY) a week ago, but I don't know why I am still seemingly having side effects. Nausea, breast soreness, and fatigue. I want it to stop... can anyone help me figure this out? By the way, nurses at obgyn's office are apparently usless unless they have taken the shot before... lol
    HeatherAnn420 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
    It took me personally;
    6 months for it to wear off.
    To even get my periods back.
    But when I did I was way fertile !
    I sure you will be okay !
    If you don't think so yourself
    Than get a condom.
    Ya know?
    yovanw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 11:58 AM
    My depo shot will expire on Jan. 17th and I am not planning on going for second round due to the continues bleeding for the last month and half. How soon can I expect the spotting to stop?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depo Shot [ 18 Answers ]

I just started the depo shot about 5 days ago... so far all I have heard about it is horror stories... I am glad to report that so far I haven't had any side affects... only a little more sensitive... but then again it hasn't even been a week yet... I kind of just got on it with out asking any...

Goodmans G-Shot 3003cc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have the Drivers for the Goodmans G-Shot 3003cc Digital Camera? I need the Video and Digital Camera drivers and I can't find my disk anywhere! I've looked on the not very useful goodmans website and there aren't any drivers. I had the G-Shot 2025 TFT and I tried those...

The depo birthcontrol shot [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on the depo shot for six months and I was suppose to go back sept 29,2006 for my third shot but I did not go on the 29th when my shot was due I had cramps in my lower stomach area and I was bleeding but not heavy I'm I trying to start my periode so soon or what.:eek:

Rabie shot for Dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a couple of dogs that I inherited a couple of years ago. They had their rabies shots when given to me. Can anyone tell me how often are dogs suppose to receive these shots?

Hit me with your best shot! [ 12 Answers ]

I am on a 80's music hunt. I have a pretty large selection of 80's music, but I'm sure that there are a few songs out there that I don't have yet. If you have a hot minute, just ramble off some groups, or song titles that I can look up so I can add to my collection of great 80's music. ...

View more questions Search