Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rackcity Posts: 100, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2016, 08:26 AM
    Losing body fat % but not weight on the scale, continue?
    In 2 weeks I've lost 2% body fat on the scale but my weight has pretty much stayed within -5 lbs of the original weight.

Also, after weights, is it a good idea to do HIIT on the treadmill. I am going 10 rounds of 1 minute walking 3 mph, then 30 seconds running at 9 mph

Also, with the weights, should I add drop sets to speed up metabolism? I'm trying to get ripped by at least June or July, and I'm currently at 27% body fat.

BTW, for the diet, I'm doing IIFYM and eating clean.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2016, 11:07 AM
    If you work out and add muscle, you may actually gain weight as muscle is denser than fat. Keep working, it will help.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jan 8, 2016, 12:19 PM
    Hi there. It sounds possible that you gained muscle while losing the fat. (Just in case, fat doesn't turn into muscle nor does muscle turn into fat. Someone had posted that elsewhere but it's not true.) Muscle does indeed weigh more than fat. I'm curious what your carbohydrate/protein ratio is. Protein burns fat but protein also builds muscle. Your body burns carbohydrates before fat. That's why you might hear people go on low Carb or no Carb diets like Atkins. You sure do lose weight fast on that diet though. If you do consider it, check with your doc first. Also, it's really hard and a bit dangerous to try and work out if you go without carbs. If you are going to cut carbs even more so, keep in mind that even veggies have carbs and/or sugar. As far as your metabolism, cardio speeds it up of course. But the weights are good for that. The more muscle mass you have, the more that muscle will burn fat even long after you stop your workout. Even when you're sleeping. So there's some food for thought.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 8, 2016, 01:40 PM
    I am a constant runner and have always kept my weight down effortessly by doing so. Nothing else ever worked for me until I started to enjoy jogging, running in the open air, keeping hydrated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2016, 08:14 PM
    Weights and the such are not really weight losers, they build strength. Also fat is changed to muscles, so you will gain weight for a while doing this.

You need to consider more aerobic exercise of 30 minutes up to a hour, and/or running if you want to really work on weight loss. (even walking)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 20, 2016, 11:49 AM
    Hi Guys. I know this is an older post, but had to pop in and correct a little misinformation.

Chuck said, " Also fat is changed to muscles". That is not correct, and it needed to be called out as it is a common misconception and I don't want someone out there quoting it someday is all. I hate to be the exercise police here, but a fat cell and a muscle cell are completely different cell structures and they will not change... they only grow or shrink.

Further, the Atkins diet is a very bad idea for someone trying to maintain muscle. On the Atkins diet a person does indeed lose weight fast, but they shrink fat AND muscle cells... not a good idea for someone looking to cut weight but keep muscle on.

Finally, since it doesn't look like Rackcity came back for any of the responses he was given, I won't bother to post any other information on HIIT training, weight lifting, or the IIFYM diet system.

Thanks guys.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to gain weight have fat in the body [ 4 Answers ]

I an 43 years old and I am have not got any fat in my body . I also don't want to eat anything i.e.things which can increase the weight I like only chats and nothing else.Help me out

How can I reduce my overall body fat without losing any muscle? [ 0 Answers ]

I know cv is a good way to burn fat but I have also heard that you can loose muscle mass from it too. Does anyone know how I can do this without losing any/a lot of muscle?

How do I tone my body without losing weight [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 36 year old woman only 137 my goal weight is about 140. I'm small frame so everything is smaller then the average woman. My goal is to be healthy and toned I want all my curves to show and just have a beautiful body. Right now I'm small but flabby all over, my abs are the worst of all. I...

If an athlete weighs 153 and has 15.0 body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat doe [ 2 Answers ]

If an athlete weighs 153lb and has 15.0% body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat does the athlete's body contain?

No weight loss, but body fat percentage has gone down [ 6 Answers ]

I've been working out for the past week, and I've been feeling a bit slimmer, but when I weighed myself the other day I hadn't lost any weight, but my body fat percentage went down about 10%. Is this possible, or did the scale screw up?

View more questions Search