Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myusername123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2015, 05:25 AM
    How long should a blood clot stay in tooth extraction site?
    I got a lower molar pulled a week ago and I think the clot is loose. I was having a soft breakfast eating at the other side of my mouth when I thought some food got caught on it. It didn't move easily with my tongue so I looked in the mirror and I think the clot is loose. It's kind of yellowy brown, like the colour of a scab on your knee when you fall as a kid!

It was painful day 1-2, a little better day 3, worse day 4-5 but a little better day 6 (yesterday).

I don't think I've especially bad breath (considering I haven't been able to brush properly in a week!) it doesn't taste bad and it's only aching a bit today compared to previous days. So I'm hoping it's not dry socket. The dentist only said eat soft food for a couple of days and do nothing the day it's removed but rinse from Day 2 with salty water.

Is the clot meant to fall out and when should this happen? And if it does dislodge, does it matter at this stage? Thanks so much.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 6, 2015, 03:08 PM
    I actually never even noticed when mine broke down and disappeared so i can't tell you that. What I can say is that it doesn't really sound like dry socket. I would say that you could probably wait and see what happens. See if the pain gets worse or better and go from there. If you are concerned, go back to the dentist and have it looked at.
    myusername123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2015, 03:10 AM
    Thanks, that's reassuring
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2015, 03:42 AM
    The clot is there for as long as it takes to heal. That is why it's there. It doesn't sound like you have dry socket; dry socket doesn't mean pain. You probably have a low pain threshold. You can brush properly just not in the area of the extraction. Rinsing with salt water should get rid of any bacteria that cause bad breath anyway, as well as helping the healing process in your mouth.

To ease your mind, see your dentist; he is there for the aftercare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood clot after wisdom tooth extraction [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I was bleeding a lot for like 12 hours, and when I woke up it was stopped And I'm pretty sure there's blood clots there now, but I can't really tell. I still have a horrible taste in my mouth, and every time I swallow my spit it just tastes like blood,...

How long is the blood clot supposed to last after tooth extraction? [ 1 Answers ]

I had my lower molar extracted 3 days ago , yesterday there clearly was a blood clot , today there isn't Im worried I might get dry socket.

Colour of a blood clot after tooth extraction? [ 3 Answers ]

I had one of my lower molars extracted 5 days ago, I have been rinsing with the salt water and following all the other directions, in the hole the colour of the clot is a yellowy greeny colour? Is that in any way normal?

I poked my tooth extraction site. Did I pull out the blood clot? [ 5 Answers ]

I had both my lower wisdom teeth pulled a week ago. I had very minimal swelling and was back to normal by the next day. I took all the precautions within the first 48 hours following the extraction. I went for my follow up visit this morning and everything looked great. This evening after dinner,...

How long blood clot on extraction tooth last? [ 3 Answers ]

Yea my question is how long does the blood clot that forms on the extracted site should last because I'm on my eighth day and the blood clot seems like its getting smaller so I'm worried that I might get dry socket or and infection so your help will be appreciated.

View more questions Search