Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afiore Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Dishwasher air gap Huntington Beach California
    Is the installation of a dish washer air gap above the counter a code requirement in Huntington Beach California? I would like to eliminate as many above counter items as possible in my new kitchen installation with granite countertops and undermount stainless steel double sink.
    Can the dishwasher discharge hose be air-gapped directly into the sewage vent pipe? Currently the kitchen walls are open and such an installation can be made.
    Thanks for your help.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Your local municipality has adopted the 2003 Uniform Plumbing code, so if you are having the job inspected, then yes, you do need an air-gap.

However, if the walls are already open, then you might consider having a Johnson Tee installed instead of a counter mounted air-gap.
    Attached Images

doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
    down yonder here in da south we do not use that air gap thingy. We use the southern building code congress [sbcc] code book and they [the older guys] use a separate trap either under the floor if it will be accessible or in the cabinet under the sink and connect directly to the trap, making sure the drain hose loops up to the bottom of the countertop. We [the not so older guys] do the same loop but we tie the drain hose either into the 1" branch on the disposer [making sure to remove the plug] or into the waste piping under the sink before it goes into the trap.
    that pic growler posted was sum purty workmanship, but how do you clear it if the 1/2" gets clogged?
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
    that pic growler posted was sum purty workmanship, but how do you clear it if the 1/2" gets clogged?
    Funny you should ask that -- This afternoon I spoke with an inspector who is trying to push through an increase in size to at least 3/4".

Of course the manufacturer of the device won't hear a word of it, and once a precedence has been set...

As for cleaning the line out -- I've installed at least a thousand of them, if not more, and cleaning them out has yet to come up.

The biggest issue with these is making sure you use long sweep 90's instead of 'close ruff' 90's when dropping down to the cabinet base.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 08:27 PM
    [strains eyes and peeks closely at 1/2" elbows in pic] [grinz]
    It sure is some purty work.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 09:19 PM
    I have a question about the picture, is the 1/2 inch copper pipe connected into the plastic with or without an air gap, and if it is without an air gap what keeps this from being a cross connection. If it is installed with an air gap where it enters the plastic what is going to keep that joint for leaking if the ABS stops up.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2007, 09:50 PM
    I would suppose it is not considered a cross connection because it is a dishwasher drain hose connected to a house drain system. There are 2 solenoids between the potable water supply and the house drain system. One on the inlet water at the connection and one at the bottom of the dishwasher at the connection of the hose.
    [peeks in code book]
    Sbcci code book page 26 and 27.
    409.2 water connection- the water supply to a dishwashing machine shall be protected against backflow by an air gap or backflow preventer in accordance with section 608.
    [comment] I think that is done by the appliance manufacturer on the side of the dishwasher.
    409.3 waste connection- the waste connection of a dishwashing machine shall comply with section 409.3.1 or 409.3.2
    409.3.1- domestic dish washing machines- domestic dish washing machines shall discharge indirectly through an air gap or air break into a standpipe or waste receptor in accordance with section 802.2, OR discharge into a wye branch fitting on the tailpiece of the kitchen sink or the dishwasher connection of a food waste grinder [that would be you disposer] . The waste line of a domestic dish washing machine discharging into a kitchen sink tailpiece or food waste grinder shall connect to a deck mounted air gap OR the waste line [drain hose] shall rise and be securely fastened to the underside of the sink rim or counter.
    409.3.2 commercial dishwashing machines...
    [interpretation mine] if you connect the drain hose to a tailpiece on the sink waste or to the disposer branch AND loop the hose up to the height of the bottom of the countertop you don't got to have an airgap. The pic does not connect as such and neither did I see an airgap. But it sure is some purty work.
    [considers a nap]
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I have a question about the picture, is the 1/2 inch copper pipe connected into the plastic with or without an air gap, and if it is without an air gap what keeps this from being a cross connection. If it is installed with an air gap where it enters the plastic what is going to keep that joint for leaking if the ABS stops up.?
    It does have an air-gap, the first picture was found on the net and was not a very good representation.

Here are some pics of a recent installation, the craftsmanship is somewhat dubious, and the installer has been chastised.

The part you see going through the plywood is the air-gap, and has a round, perforated trim piece that is open to the atmosphere.

As for the standpipe backing up, this has never been an issue in all the time I've used them, bear in mind that the 1/2 copper tube is similar in diameter to the dishwashers drain hose, which is 5/8 I.D.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
    if you connect the drain hose to a tailpiece on the sink waste or to the disposer branch AND loop the hose up to the height of the bottom of the countertop you don't got to have an airgap. The pic does not connect as such and neither did I see an airgap. But it sure is some purty work.
    Acceptance and use of the Johnson Tee is unique to areas where the Uniform Plumbing Code has been adopted, which is pretty much the entire West Coast and parts of Alaska.

When I first joined the forum I would dive in on all of the rough-in questions, but it became apparent after about two weeks that my advice, while goodly intended, was usually wrong.

The UPC, which is what I learned, bears little resemblance to the IPC or SPC that most of the US has adopted, so unless they specify they are from the West Coast, I tend to butt out of the rough-in threads altogether.
    afiore Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Thank you all for your comprehensive answers to my question. My research of the applicable code, California Plumbing Code 2001 section 807.4, seems to authorize an air gap or a high loop of the discharge hose under the counter, but it appears that many municipalities in California have eliminated the second option. I have not been provided with the documentation of it, but it appears that Huntington Beach has also eliminated the second option. I do not want to press the issue with the city so I will just install an air gap. Blanco has a nice looking dishwasher air gap in stainless steel.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Is there an odor that comes out of that airgap? Does that airgap contaminate any food placed near it?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    It does have an air-gap, the first picture was found on the net and was not a very good representation.

Here are some pics of a recent installation, the craftsmanship is somewhat dubious, and the installer has been chastised.

The part you see going through the plywood is the air-gap, and has a round, perforated trim piece that is open to the atmosphere.

As for the standpipe backing up, this has never been an issue in all the time I've used them, bear in mind that the 1/2 copper tube is similar in diameter to the dishwashers drain hose, which is 5/8 I.D.
    Thanks for the pics and he explanation about the air gap being exposed to the out side air. I have never seen an air gap installed in this manner and wish I had because of the many times that I had to either drill a cast iron sink or bring the air gap up through the counter top and if it ever stop up then it was all over the counter,, thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher air gap overflowing [ 5 Answers ]

The air gap for our dishwasher has been overflowing since we bought the house 20 years ago. It was an annoying problem but not serious. I tried to fix this problem several times. I replaced the hose, I replaced the air gap NO JOY. The air gap discharges into the garbage disposal. The disposal seems...

No Dishwasher air gap on new sink [ 1 Answers ]

Thought installing a new sink would be a relatively simple job. As I look to get started, the new sink did not come with the hole and equipment for the dishwasher drain. I think its called the air gap. Question, can I bypass the airgap and connect the hose directly from the dishwasher to the...

Air gap overflowing [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my air gap for the diswasher overflow

Air Gap is overflowing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All I have a very baffling situation. We changed our countertop, now the air-gap is overflowing for the first few seconds every time the dishwasher empties and makes a mess on the counter top, then continues to drain normally. Here is the setup. THREE separate drains under the sink, each...

Redondo Beach California Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to buy a house in the near future, although I don't know if I should wait until the real estate bubble bursts. Should I rent now and wait for prices to come down or should I buy now? Thanks.

View more questions Search