Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guitarjam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Fireplace logs pilot won't stay lit
    The pilot on my fireplace logs lights with no problem, but won't stay lit.
    I have held the dial in for as long as 10 minutes but, as soon as I release it, the pilot goes out.
    Help would be appreciated
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 8, 2007, 12:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjam
    The pilot on my fireplace logs lights with no problem, but won't stay lit.
    I have held the dial in for as long as 10 minutes but, as soon as I release it, the pilot goes out.
    Help would be appreciated
    Convert over to an electric start non-pilot gas igniter. This saves gas cost. Check out this at specialty fireplace stores.. . nm
    jfgzo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 01:32 PM

On some related posts, somebody mentioned checking whether the flame is yellow instead of blue. I endorse that answer!! I have two identical log sets, one of which lit fine. I was going to start exchanging parts between the units to isolate the problem part, but first checked this site. Sure enough, the one that lit fine burned blue and stayed on, and the faulty one burned yellow. I blew compressed air into and around the flame orifice and air intake, and, voilą, it now burns blue and stays lit. The yellow indicates a flame that is not hot enough to activate the thermocouple. Terrific tip!
    Jim
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 11:32 AM

Replace the thermocouple, cheap and easy fix.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

My pilot light won't stay lit [ 6 Answers ]

Help,I have two problems.. My upstairs furnace pilot light will light,and after holding down the pilot button for about 3-4 minutes(it says one minute,but it won't stay lit after only one)it stays,but will go out again in a day or two... The furnace for the downstairs won't light at all.. I can't...

Gas furnace pilot won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

About 1 month ago pilo light wouldn't stay lit so I replaced the thermocouple.. The unit worked fine for about 2 weeks. After that when relighting it would go out after 1 day or so. Bought a new thermocouple and this one would only keep the pilot lit for 1 to 2 hours. Reinstalled the thermocouple I...

Pilot Lit But Blowers Won't Stay Fired [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot stays lit, but the burners won't. Not sure what's wrong.

Furnace Pilot stays lit continuously [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace pilot stays lit continuously Even though it states inside of the furnace and I quote "Pilot will light automatically when there is a call for heat. NOTE during thermostat off cycle main burners and PILOT flame are both extinguisehd. I have gotten many rude response that say that's...

View more questions Search