Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    path.searching Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
    How do I pick a career path?
    Im ready to make a big move forward with my life. I thought it would be going to grad school for a masters in elementary school education but I recently learned I do not like that age group (for that many hours at least). Not sure what to do now... How do people make that decision? I am tired of seasonal jobs that are not really fulfilling. Im ready for the next phase of life but don't know where to find it
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 04:04 PM

Have you thought about teaching high school? Or special ed? Or college?

Feb 20, 2011, 04:15 PM
    College. Maybe art at that level. But how do I know if that would be right for me?
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 04:21 PM

You don't. Until you get there. There's no one that can tell you what would work for you, there's no one that can tell you what you will love or hate. When I first became a caregiver I thought it was just going to be a second job to pay off some debt. Now I absolutely love my job, and can't possibly think of doing anything different.

Feb 20, 2011, 04:34 PM
    Why did you start working as a caregiver to begin with?
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by path.searching View Post
    Why did you start working as a caregiver to begin with?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    When I first became a caregiver I thought it was just gonna be a second job to pay off some debt.
    The question was answered above :)

Feb 20, 2011, 05:51 PM
    I know, but why caregiver? Why not any other job to pay the debt?
    Vision Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 05:53 PM

Because that's who called me back when I submitted resumes.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 05:56 PM

I was a teacher, stayed home for twelve years to raise kids, returned to work shelving books for $3.00 an hour at our local public library, and ended up working in all sorts of public library positions for the next 30 years.

My educational background helped me wonderfully throughout my library career. During my 40s, I went to grad school to get a master's in counseling psych which also meshed very nicely with education and library work.

No matter what courses you take or what job you have, learn all that you can very well because you never know where life will take you.

Feb 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
    Haha OK. So you're saying maybe just go with the jobs I can get right now, to pay the bills and what not. Maybe see if I can sit in on some classes at the local college, talk to the professors to see if I like that world? Thanks for taking the time to 'talk'/answer my questions by the way.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 06:05 PM

You might be like me (and hoards of others) -- there's not just one world you fit in and enjoy being in. Don't ever limit yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Career path should I take? [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a lot of difficulty deciding what I should do once I am finished my B.A. in Anthropology (it is my major, sociology is my minor). I am in my third year of my undergrad and am 20 years old. I do enjoy the courses I am taking and if I had the money or was paid to go to school I would...

Right career path [ 4 Answers ]

I am not really happy in my career right now, because I feel it is not what I was really meant to do. I hate feeling like I am not able to give a hundred percent. Is this right for me?

Career Path [ 1 Answers ]

I have one and a half year experience in Siebel Functional Testing plus 6 months internship in Siebel technology(completed a project during internship).Worked on CRM and PRM modules. What type of career prospects I have ?

View more questions Search