Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmanueljkm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 06:20 AM
    PC gets hang when DVD Writer reads CDRW/CDROM
    Hi,

My PC Spec:

P4 2.8GHz , Intel Dualcore D946GZ Board,120GB SATA HDD, 1GB Transcend Mem
    XP SP2 with up-to-date security/critical updates,Trend PCCillin AV, Nero OEM
    Sony DVD +RW (Model AW-G170A - SonyNEC OEM).

My issue is, when I try to read a CD ROM/CD on my DVD drive, it starts displaying it on Explorer, but not finishing the task and PC getting hanged.

But, if I keep the same CDRom/CD on drive and restarting my computer, there is no problem and the explorer windows displaying the content properly. And there is no issue with DVD writing / Reading at all.

It was all working fine, but suddenly this problem got raised and it is continuing even after windows reinstallation.

I also tried to update the Firmware for sony dvd +rw. During installation it reads an error message as "Sony AW-G170A not found properly", and the drive name is being displayed in windows explorer as "DVD -RAM Drive"

(Note: Sony is the media(CDRW,CDR,DVD,DVD RW) I have tried all these times)

Anybody help me on this?

Thanks

JE
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Under Device Manager, expand the IDE ATAPI Controllers. Double-click the IDE where the rom drive is connected (i.e. Secondary Master). Check Advanced Properties and ensure that "DMA if available" is active. And check what is the current transfer mode. Should be something like "Ultra DMA Mode 2" for example.

While in device manager, are there any yellow exclamation marks? Perhaps beside the cd/dvd rom drives key ? You may need to delete the device, reboot and let Windows redetect it again.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 19, 2007, 11:34 PM
    It could also be the drivers that are installed for the CD-Rom could be the wrong ones or not 100% optimal for running the CD-Rom. This is only a suggestion but you could try un-installing the drivers and then install new drivers for your model to see if that fixes the problem.

If that help rate it
    SURENDAR99 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2009, 06:21 AM
    OK, I understood you problem .

The problem is not at all with your sony dvd+-rw or with you PC.

The problem is you are installing the drivers provided by your sony dvd +- rw .

I suggest you to remove you dvd drive from your computer and re-install your windows operating system and then put back you dvd drive and be sure you will not install the drivers provided with your sony dvd+-rw.

And after you do this you will find your computer will be working smoothly and without hanging any more

note: You should never install the drivers of a dvd drive as the system will not support them mostly. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with my dvd writer [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've just bought a external dvd writer and it will play things fine but if I put a blank dvd in it it says that the drive is not accessible incorrect function. Any advice would be appreacated Thanks Vyki

Dvd writer [ 3 Answers ]

Using a new writer I am successful in burning a disc but it will not play on my dvd player

DVD/CDRW won't play non-commercial DVD's [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Liteon Combo LTC 48161H running on a Compaq s5000cl. The DVD/CDRW drive will not play a non-commercial DVD. I have tried resetting the defaults by left clicking on "My Computer" and right clicking the combo drive, choosing "Properties", then "Auto Play" and clicking the "Restore defaults"...

DVD writer [ 3 Answers ]

Please, I am shopping for a notebook : Siemens Fujitsu amilo pro edition V2020, 60 Gb HDD, 512 Mb Ram. The optical drive is DVD writer with double layer protection. Does this mean that it won't write CD's?? If it will, how would I know the writing speed for DVD and CD? Second question: is the...

DVD Writer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a DVD Writer that can read dvd's but my problem is when I want to burn to it. It does not see the DVD-R (blank) in it. It's an HP 300n DVD/CD-RW. I updated the drivers and I reinstalled. The connection to the motherboard I believe are like a normal cd-rom.(power cable and the cable...

View more questions Search