Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Stubborn Wallpaper
    I moved into my house about a year ago and I've almost finished renovating all the rooms except the kitchen and dining room. I've decided to start this week and my first task is removing a wallpaper border. I used a scoring tool and then used a mix of hot water and Poly-Peel to loosen the adhesive. I let it sit for 10 minutes, re-soaked the same area and let it sit for another 15 minutes. I tried using a metal scraper to remove the paper, but it will not budge. I managed to pull a dry piece off in the kitchen and I'm not sure what kind of paper it is, but I know it is not the vinyl kind where you can pull the top layer off, leaving the backing exposed. I think it is "paper" wallpaper. If anyone can give me any tips on removing this type of paper it would be greatly appreciated.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Mar 6, 2006, 08:22 PM
    2 weeks ago I spent a whole week removing 2 layers of wallpaper about 60 years old in 2 rooms at a job of mine. These were papers like you have. Just keep at. I mixed Dif concentrate w/ warm water and vinegar. Used a 4" wide wall/floor scraper. This paper was on plaster walls so there was very little damage from scraping. Just keep soaking. Try using a 1/2" knap paint roller and pan to put the mixture on. It's a little messy but it soaks it pretty good.
    I don't have patience when it comes to stuff like that but there is nothing you can do. Eventually you'll win.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Is the paper under the border vinyl? Ordinary paste won't stick to even a thin layer of vinyl over paper. We just redid a bathroom with a border over vinyl coated paper. We used a non water based ''Border over vinyl'' paste. Have no idea what would take the border off. However, scoring it liberally, should allow the water to penetrate the adhesive under the paper itself, allowing you to strip paper and border and all off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stubborn baby! HELP [ 8 Answers ]

Hey I got a problem with my niece she's a year and 2 months old,she get a tempers and fets at sleeping time and she kicks everything around and she's REALLY stubborn and her mother is pregnant in her last month and the kid want her mother to carry her around what should she do? Cause my sister is...

Removing old old old wallpaper [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a condo I recently bought. The wallpaper is old and double layer. The wallpaper glue under the base layer is about 2mm thick and won't come off. I have used hot water spray, wallpaper enzymes and elbow grease. The wall board paper is coming off in chunks. Any suggestions...

Removing wallpaper [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought my house.we are slowly remodeling the all the rooms.one room has wallpaper.it looks really old.I have no idea how I should remove it.a friend told me I could use fabric softern mix with water.is this true?I pull at the wallpaper there seems to be no other layers of wallpaper.any...

Wallpaper Problem [ 1 Answers ]

:(... Hi... I have the Windows 2000 Professional. The Internet Explorer and I am on AOL... The pics that I have chosen for my wallpaper (all from the movies.. my hobby), are piling up on my Desk Top and will not rotate or change. I have many of them. They are forming a collage on my Desk Top. I...

View more questions Search