Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahardman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
    My grandfather died on a side of my family that I have not seen in years?
    My parents have been separated and divorced for 5 years. The whole separation and divorce was nasty,because my father just up and left my mom. Due to the situation, my siblings and I have been with my mom and left my dad high and dry. I know that I resent my dad for splitting up my family and causing a strain on our relationships with his side of the family. I just found out that my grandpa died that is on my dad side. I really want to go to the visitation and funeral, but I do not want dad to think that it is for him. What should I do?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 03:55 PM
    You should go if you knew and loved your Grandfather. This way if your dad is there you can speak to him if you wish to and forget and forgive the past. Time has a way of healing old wounds. Your dad is still your dad regardless of the past and what he did.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Mar 31, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Same thing happened with my parents. My mother aged and got overweight (thyroid problem she gains weight fast and its hard for her to lose it) and so my father went for someone younger and thin. My father even chooses his mail order young, thin wife over his own children. Even though all that happened, I am still close with his side of the family. They know his side of the story and our side. They know everything that happened, but when we have family gatherings we do not bring up my father or what he did, we just hang out like family. When you go to the funeral and your dad tries to bring up the situation or he starts upsetting you just firmly say "I am here for my grandfather, not for you" and I am sure he will get the picture. I'm sorry for your loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A resident has died.family doesn't want furniture [ 4 Answers ]

A resident at one of my complexes died this week. Her only family is an aunt and a cousin. Between them they only had medical power of attorney. They came by the apartment today to try to find legal papers and an urn (none of which were found) They realize that in order to remove her...

Looking for family.my brothers dad died. [ 12 Answers ]

My brothers dad died in a trucking wreck before he was born . My brothers name is christopher frances burns , I would love to have him meet his older siblings . His father was married before meeting my mother Gail Petit at the time. I know that his sisters names are lori burns of Pa and Kathy...

Grandfather died and problems.. ended up breaking up family [ 4 Answers ]

My grandfather died a few moths back and since then I've disowned my family (uncle & aunt and brother and wife). Not because I wanted to, but because of the childish way they were acting and the hurt they've caused me. It's a lot of crap to explain, but here's a summary.. . after pap died, my uncle...

Mother has died and now Grandfather is wanting us out [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died recently and her and my grandfather are one the deed. Well at my mothers funeral he informed me and my husband that he wanted us out in 60 days. So after a couple days I said that I would not be able to pay rent save money and keep the bills running. I just found out today that he...

Ever find out someone died, but not right away, like years down the line? [ 9 Answers ]

I just found out today that mitch hedberg died. I know I am late, really late, but I don't ever remember hearing anything about that. And it really took me back. He was my favorite comedian. I really do love comedy, just I didn't know that these people had websites and stuff. It just never occurred...

View more questions Search