Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbeaudoin001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2016, 07:40 AM
    How to kill bamboo
    How do I kill bamboo growing in my yard?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2016, 10:33 AM
    THe quick way, Dig it up roots and all... they have massive energy stores in them and will keep coming back for a very long time otherwise. They are deep, so it's a lot of work...

You could also cut it down, spray any and all new growth immediately with a product such as Round up, but you might be doing this for several years until the energy stores are exhausted and it dies.

It's a tedious job either way.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 23, 2016, 10:48 AM
    You could try what I've done (carefully) with other types of plants:
    Cut down and cart away.
    Spray what's left with charcoal lighter fluid, and throw a match on the area.
    If there's a big clump of heavy growth near the ground, put a bag of charcoal on top, and spray again with lighter fluid, and let it slowly burn, was though you are making hamburgers.
    After any embers are totally gone, go to the dump and get a lot of flattened cardboard, and cover it with bricks and rocks for a year, til it rots.

Worked for me. I don't have the strength for anything difficult, and this is easy.
    Won't be safer over a large area though.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 23, 2016, 12:09 PM
    Plan on spending 2 hours a week with a shovel in your hands for the next three years digging up shoots. There is no way other than commercial excavation to get ALL the roots and it will sprout.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2016, 04:30 PM
    They have deep roots and can spread a long distance. They are nearly impossible to control and even harder to get rid of.

Digging them out, roots and all, is about it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 23, 2016, 04:36 PM
    Cut mine down with a machete then went over it with a lawn mower every time I mowed my yard. It's been 10 years and haven't seen a sprout since.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 24, 2016, 12:58 PM
    Bamboo is very attractive to people starting with a pond atmosphere within their sundeck, however, they are not warned of the possibilities of the bamboo taking root and, basically taking over everything. The correct people advising will tell not them the bamboo has to be contained within a concrete enclosure which will limit its expansion over the years.

It is a sustainable product, used for so many purposes, building materials, floors, clothing. An excellent alternative to other non sustainable products. It is unfortunate that we are not well educated in its uses in a western environment. This product of organic material may well be our salvation if harnessed in an appropriate way.

Killing it, well maybe J has a good idea and it worked for her, but it is a wonderful beautifully appealing plant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want bamboo in the southeast! [ 4 Answers ]

As the title suggests, I actually want bamboo, and I am in Southern Mississippi. I have searched extensively on ABS trying to learn as much as I can on which species will suit my conditions and give me my desired results, but without doing some Q&A with those with firsthand experience, it leaves...

Bamboo Plant [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I got a bamboo plant for my birthday. I keep it watered all the time, but for some reason, it's turning yellow. I really want to keep it alive. I have it in a window, is that the reason it's dying? Please help!

Bamboo Intrusion [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know a sure way to kill bamboo? My neighbor planted bamboo in his back yard and now the roots have come under the fence and threaten to eat up my yard. How about drilling a hole in the stumps and filling it with Round-Up? Any suggestions? Thanks, speedball1

View more questions Search