Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ampeg123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan
    I have a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Light Kit and Remote Control. It just stopped working, both the fan and the light. I checked the battery in the remote, I checked the wiring from ceiling to remote receiver, from remote receiver to fan, from fan to light kit. It all seems to be wired correctly and live. I then thought maybe the light kit was bad, I have the same fan installed in my daughter's room. So I hooked the light kit into her fan and it worked fine. I then thought it might be the remote thinking it just might have died. I bought a brand new one, just like the one we had before made sure the code switches match. Still no luck.

Since it is not the light kit or the remote I thought it might be something in the internal wiring within the fan itself. Anyone have any thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 05:22 PM
    When you bought the replacement remote didn't it come with a new receiver for inside the fan housing? I think your receiver is dead, not the remote sending unit.

Apr 2, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I did put in the new receiver. That's not the problem. I'm sure the one I pulled out is just fine. I will probably use that in another fan within the house.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 08:41 PM
    First of all, replacement remotes do not include receivers. You can buy a remote/receiver kit not designed to be a replacement. AND you can only replace the receiver in this manner if it was originally an add-on kit. Stock receivers have to be replaced from the factory.

Does the fan have pullchains?

Apr 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
    The remote/receiver did not come with the fan when it was installed. That is why I bought the same one I had being using for the 2+ years since the fan was originally installed. I know it was compatible that is why I chose the same one when I replaced it. I know it isn't either the old or the new remote or receiver.

Yes, the fan has pullchains. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Remove the receiver from the fan and wire the fan without it. Tell me if either the fan or light works then.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Ceilfanrepair slipped with his typing and meant REMOVE the receiver, I believe.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Yes sir. Corrected.
    ScottRM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ampeg123
    I have a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Light Kit and Remote Control. It just stopped working, both the fan and the light. I checked the battery in the remote, I checked the wiring from ceiling to remote receiver, from remote receiver to fan, from fan to light kit. It all seems to be wired correctly and live. I then thought maybe the light kit was bad, I have the same fan installed in my daughter's room. So I hooked the light kit into her fan and it worked fine. I then thought it might be the remote thinking it just might have died. I bought a brand new one, just like the one we had before made sure the code switches match. Still no luck.

Since it is not the light kit or the remote I thought it might be something in the internal wiring within the fan itself. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Hello, I just ordered the receiver unit from Hampton Bay for a fan with remote control. The remote is working if the red light goes on when you press any of the buttons. Hampton Bay reps told me it was the receiver unit in the base of the fan, approx $30.00.
    I'm about to tear the bottom off the fan unit and remove the light assembly to replace the receiver. It shouldn't be too bad of a job if you are comfortable doing electrical repair.
    I got all this info from the King of Fans, the manufacturer of Hampton Bay brand.
    They are even emailing me some instructions.

ScottRM
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 09:58 AM
    They should be sending you the receiver for free since the fan is under warranty.
    braganza23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 11:33 AM
    I have a Hampton Ceiling Fan with remote , the problem is the remote can control the fan but lights cant. What's wrong with the unit?
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Does the remote LED light up when you attempt to control the lights? Does the fan have pullchains? Have you checked the bulbs, connections, etc?

Apr 29, 2007, 06:37 AM
    I just installed a new receiver from "King of Fans", the manufacturer of Hampton Bay fans, and it workd fine. Evidently there is a battery in the receiver unit that must die after 7 years in our case.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 01:52 PM
    I know nothing of this, sounds like the receiver just went bad.

May 5, 2007, 06:46 AM

Kin of Fans, is the manufacturer of the Hampton Bay product line, and sells receivers for your ceiling fan. Relace it with their new receiver, and most assuredly that will fix the problem.

May 5, 2007, 06:51 AM

I had the same problem. "King of Fans" manufacturers the Hampton Bay fans, and will sell you a new receiver for the fan base unit for your model. Approximately $30.00 and you'll be back in business. They have a web-site with their customer service number to order the receiver.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 04:07 PM
    King of Fans doesn't make ALL HB fans. Regardless, the fans are under warranty, so you shouldn't have to pay for parts, you should get them for free!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

View more questions Search