Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wuzizname Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 06:36 AM
    All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up?
    Hello all,

I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad.

We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main.

The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get much usage even, but I make it a point to flush it at least once in the morning and once in the evening to alleviate some of the odor. This toilet also flushes poorly, it's slow, and clogs easily - it's an older model.

The other two were recently re-fitted with new wax gaskets because I put down new laminate tile floors. I'm always a stickler for making sure that a new gasket goes on whether it looks like it needs one or not. They are both new efficient models and flush well, but still smell.

We have cleaned them all several times with lysol, bleach... they don't appear moldy at all, but still smell.

Any suggestions? I'm starting to wonder if the sewer is backed up under our house. Should I be concerned about methane or gas poisoning?

W?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 27, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Whenever I get a complaint about toilets that smell bad I always give the wax seals a hard look. Because the bowl has a throat that extends down past the flange you wouldn't get any leakage but by raising the floor level it's very possible that a small gap exists allowing sewer gas to escape. Re check the seals and double if necessary. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Tom is correct about checking the wax ring. I also believe you may have a parially plugged vent stack. A bad ring should not cause the toilet to flush poorly but a bad vent can cause the smell and the bad operation. Rod from the roof if it is safe to get up there. Run at least 25 ' of rod down the stack. Add about 10' more for each floor of the house if it is multileveled.
    paulwjohn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 10:20 AM

I was also told to check the seal around the base of the toilet if there is a smell near the toilet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 24, 2010, 10:32 AM

Paul, If the wax seal were working you wouldn't have to check the caulk. Pull the toilet and replace the wax seal. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sewer smell coming from my shower drain. This is new construction, the builder has done something with the clean out drain (not sure if it was snaked), tore up the floor of shower (smell was not noticeable when floor was out, down to dirt), replaced floor (smell returned immediately upon...

Sewer smell [ 3 Answers ]

I read the sewer smell posts and have tried all that (I have the laundry floor drain and have pored bleach, hot water, and vinegar down there... ) I am wondering what this hose is that flickit mentioned "washer drain hose with a flexible end fitting that completely fit into the drain pipe the...

Sewer smell [ 6 Answers ]

We bought a brand new home 15 months ago. After heavy rain, the basement sump pump smells like sewer gas. This smell pretty much permeates through the whole house (ranch style). The crock is sealed but the odor is still coming through the plastic. We are connected to city water and sewer. The...

Sewer smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have a sewer smell coming from the washer drain in the basement of our new home. It becomes most prominent when washing and then afterwards. The house is about 30 yrs old, two levels with the basement being mostly underground. We have also smelled the odor outside the house as we added a...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search