Telnet client.
    Can anybody please help?
    I'm running AOL9 with windows xp, I've started getting a box on start up
    c:\windows\system32\mcc.exe
    With a message in the box
    Welcome to Microsoft Telnet client
    Escape character is 'ctrl+]'
    Microsoft Telnet>
    I also get a box on the taskbar where I can right click and get an option to close the box.
    Can anybody please tell me what Telnet client is, and how do I stop it appearing on start up?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Jim. ;D
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 8, 2004, 06:59 PM
    Re: Telnet client.
    Can anybody please help?
    I'm running AOL9 with windows xp, I've started getting a box on start up
    c:\windows\system32\mcc.exe
    With a message in the box
    Welcome to Microsoft Telnet client
    Escape character is 'ctrl+]'
    Microsoft Telnet>
    I also get a box on the taskbar where I can right click and get an option to close the box.
    Can anybody please tell me what Telnet client is, and how do I stop it appearing on start up?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Jim. ;D

Telnet is a system used to allow you to remotely log in to another computer. If a remote computer is running a telnet daemon, you can log in to said system from home.
    Telnet is inherently insecure because it sends passwords in plain text. Therefore, it has been mostly supplanted by ssh (the Secure SHell)...

Anyway, I suppose you want to get rid of it.
    Take a look in the Start Menu-->Programs-->Start up. See if a link to telnet is there, and if it is, delete it.

Next thing to do, if you have no luck there: Start-->run... type msconfig in the box. Play around with the program (but be careful)... see if you can disable it there.

And then, if that doesn't work, you'll have to go poking about in the registry. :)

~psi42
    Sparda Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2004, 04:23 PM
    Althow psi42 prety much said it all I would like to point out that it may also be running as a service (like most hosting programs on XP) to check out if it is go the management console and check through the servises to see if any thing's there (to get to the management consol right click on my computer and click on manage). Also it's not my place to say (but I'm going to any way) AOL is the WORST ISP known the common Tom, Joe and Harry (not that they know it's bad it just is) if you don't believe me, THEN READ THIS http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/com...action=Compare and if you still don't believe me, then your stupid and won't listen to reason, thus it was a waste of time reading this help full response to your question (YOU HURD ME! )
    Nobsdad Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2004, 03:00 AM
    Many thanks psi42 and Sparda for your help, I've followed your advice, now all is OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chatting client ban. What to do for chat? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, In my office chatting on other than company people not allowed. But, in some case if I need to chat with some friends for necessary stuff I want some Java chatting site address if someone knows please. Help me giving address of that chatting site addresses... Thanks !

Magazine Website: Getting info from my client. [ 2 Answers ]

I do this magazine website of lots of text with hyperlinks in them. My client sends me the updates in MS Word, which I convert to html and add to the site. Besides each of learning how to use a CMS with the site - or my teaching them how to use Dreamweaver to type up their stuff - is there an...

US Requirements-client,vendor,C2C,W-2,1099 [ 0 Answers ]

Hi This is sailajachanna have taken MBA in HR. Currently I am into Job search for the position as IT Recruiter for an International consultancy. I need the information regarding the following; 1. Who is a client 2. Who is Vendor 3. What is C2C

Telnet client for Symbian/Opera [ 1 Answers ]

Please I need help, looking for a telnet client for cellphone OS. Anybody knows something?

Get the Client login name? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear all, I need to get the Client system login name to display in each client pages.. I have tried following code it display nothing.. :( You are <%=Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")%> Please anybody suggest right idea to solve this problem.. jena.

View more questions Search