Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 18, 2016, 04:52 PM
    Transferring videos from phone to computer
    I'm computer and phone illiterate, literally.

Now that I have a cell phone I mainly take videos and pictures on it, instead of our camera. The only problem, I don't know how to transfer those videos and pictures from my phone to my computer.

Any help? Step by step instructions, simple talk, none of that fancy talk, would be appreciated. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2016, 09:35 PM
    There is a wire that connects your phone to computer.

Once it connects, it should just automatically know it is connnected and have a icon on your screen to open up the phone. (or some just automatically starts to download photos.

If not, then after connected, you open up the folder that shows all of the drives, C, D, E, and so on, your phone should show up there. Click on the phone, and you will see all of the folders in the phone, find the one with the video's, Often it is under photo's, or video or another name.

Sorry I have two phones, my son has a phone and my wife, each downloads slightly differely

Also most if they have blue tooth, just transfer without any wire, by connecting phone and computer with blue tooth
    Pets Expert

May 20, 2016, 04:04 PM
    I should have mentioned this in my original post. The wire, also used to charge the battery, no longer works. It's not the wire that's broken, it's the phone. We can no longer charge the batter or transfer things from the phone to the computer. Our kids have the same phones so they charge their batteries and then we switch it with ours.

Our phone is a cheap one, a Huawei, touch screen, not bad at all, but not a fancy phone like an I-phone.

Rod said we need a thing to hold the card thing. Ya, that's the technical term for it... thing. :)
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 22, 2016, 06:44 AM
    I just typically email my photos/videos from my phone. Open the email and then save the file. That way I don't have to even be near my computer to do that.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2016, 07:06 AM
    If the charging port on your phone is not working, your only option is sending your pics via email.

I'm not familiar with your phone, but try holding your finger on the pic and see if it gives you an option to "share."
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 22, 2016, 07:37 AM
    You could also install a cloud storage app, like dropbox or google Drive.
    Then simple share the media with the storage and it will sync to the cloud and whatever devices are connected.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2016, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    You could also install a cloud storage app, like dropbox or google Drive.
    Then simple share the media with the storage and it will sync to the cloud and whatever devices are connected.
    She can't connect devices if the port is damaged.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 22, 2016, 08:35 AM
    It's all done via wifi/cell data, nothing to connect ;)
    Pets Expert

May 22, 2016, 03:33 PM
    Teach me Ben. Please.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 23, 2016, 03:44 PM
    Alty, Also if your phone supports Bluetooth you could grab a usb/Bluetooth device for your computer and transfer it that way also. If your phone supports WiFi you could also get one of the new storage devices that is a personal cloud. Fancy name for a remote disk drive that stays within your home.

If you are using cords to charge the phone is there a reason one of those cords doesn't work for transferring files also ?
    Pets Expert

May 24, 2016, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Alty, Also if your phone supports Bluetooth you could grab a usb/Bluetooth device for your computer and transfer it that way also. If your phone supports WiFi you could also get one of the new storage devices that is a personal cloud. Fancy name for a remote disk drive that stays within your home.

If you are using cords to charge the phone is there a reason one of those cords doesn't work for transferring files also ?
    We can't charge or transfer using the cords. Right now Sydney and Jared, that have the same phones, charge their batteries, and then we switch out so we can use our phone. The cords no longer work for charging or transfer. We can only use the phone now because the kids exchange their charged batteries with ours.

Not sure if it has bluetooth, will have to ask Rod.

We do have a card thingy in the phone that gives us more storage for photos, and videos and such. Rod said he needs to get a thing (ya, he's not hear so I can't ask him and he doesn't seem to be sure about what we need either), to put the "card" into so we can put it into the computer and transfer the files from that card to the computer.

Ya, I know, I'm frustrating, but you all know I know crap about computers and even less about cell phones, so please don't give up hope.

Oh, and clouds? WTH? Clouds are in the sky and sometimes give us rain, and sometimes are white and puffy and pretty and do no harm. What the heck is a cloud on a computer and how the heck do I access that?

Pretend... wait... you are talking to someone that knows nothing about any of this, so put it in terms that a 2 year old could follow. Please.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 24, 2016, 07:47 PM
    Alty, do you have a micro sd card in your phone? If so you need the adapter to make it an sd card so you can put that in the slot in your computer, correct? Let me know what you have. I have a thing (not sure what it's called ) that a parent gave me and it has all of the slots and you just plug it into the usb slot in your computer. I'll bring it home tomorrow. Also, I have an adapter here (like a sleeve) to put the micro sd card into. Let me know and I'll post tomorrow what I have at work. I'll mail you what you need if I am understanding you correctly.
    Pets Expert

May 25, 2016, 11:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Alty, do you have a micro sd card in your phone? If so you need the adapter to make it an sd card so you can put that in the slot in your computer, correct? Let me know what you have. I have a thing (not sure what it's called ) that a parent gave me and it has all of the slots and you just plug it into the usb slot in your computer. I'll bring it home tomorrow. Also, I have an adapter here (like a sleeve) to put the micro sd card into. Let me know and I'll post tomorrow what I have at work. I'll mail you what you need if I am understanding you correctly.
    Bingo!

Yes! Exactly what I'm thinking we need. We have a micro sd card. Rod said we need a casing or something to put the micro sd card into so that we can put it into the USB slot into the computer to transfer the files from phone to computer. The micro SD card in the phone is made of cardboard or something. We need the black hard plastic kind we have in our camera. Supposedly there's a case you buy that you put the carboard SD card into that turns it into the hard plastic one.

When you know what you need, please send the info because that's exactly what I was asking, I just suck at putting it in the right terms. So glad you understand and speak Alty. :)
    Education Expert

May 26, 2016, 04:31 AM
    You need a micro sd card adapter to sd card adapter. If you don't have an sd slot on your computer, then you need a micro SD card adapter to USB. They sell the adapters at Amazon for about $3.��
    With a Google search, I found them at Walmart and other places.
    I do teach at a high tech school, but I know this because I have a camera with a micro SD card and I need an adapter at home and at work. Let me know if you can't find it.
    Pets Expert

May 31, 2016, 10:56 PM
    Thank you so much TJ.

Not sure about what the card is called. I have a card in my camera (which I sadly rarely use now that we have the phone), that I can plug into the computer to load the pictures. It's small and black. There is a card in the phone but it's very small. Rod said it needs a little case thingy so it can go into the computer to load it. Sounds like what you mentioned is exactly what we need.

Thank you so much. :)
    Education Expert

Jun 1, 2016, 04:55 PM
    You have a micro SD card in your phone. You just need the adapter. ��
    Pets Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    You have a micro SD card in your phone. You just need the adapter. ��
    Thanks TJ. I'll get one and then you all will be inundated with pictures and videos and you'll wish you never ever told me about this. :)
    Education Expert

Jun 2, 2016, 06:55 PM
    Can't wait!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from phone to computer? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I transfer my cell phone contact list from my cell phone onto my computer? I have a LG AX8600 cell phone. What type cord will I need to use for my computer and cell phone?

I have a 5.8ghz cordless phone. How close to my computer should the phone be placed? [ 1 Answers ]

How close to my computer should I place my 5.8ghz cordless phone?

Can I access my cell phone contacts from my computer (online) if I haven't my phone? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to get some contacts from my verizon cell phone, but I don't have my phone. Is there any way I can access this online?

Transferring My Favorites To another computer [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to save and transfer My Favourites over to a new computer. How would I do this?

Transferring movie/videos [ 1 Answers ]

I assume it is possible to transfer personal video footage from a digital camera memory card to a DVD Writer. Is there any specific software/hardware required? I have WinXP Home, Geforce FX5200 Ultra, display card, Realktek Audio and AMD Athlon XP3000+, MMX, 3D Now, ~2.1ghz. Any URLs on...

View more questions Search