Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stolidawg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 08:50 PM
    3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote
    Greetings,
    My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use...

The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white). I wired the fan directly to the home (blk-to-blk, wht-to-wht, blk/wht-to-red). The lights on the fan work, but the fan does not turn. I assumed that there would be a default fan-speed once power was applied, but that does not seem to be the case.

Do I simply need to replace the on/off wall-switch with a ceiling fan control, or does a "remote" fan have to use the remote?

Thank you,
    Brian
    nonadjustablemind Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 09:00 PM
    First thing I always check with this case, is check to see if it all works with the switch on, pull the chain make sure it all works.

If it still doesn't work, does the remote receiver have a separate mottor or is it already inside the fan?

If all this check out OK, then you may want to check your switches wiring.

I don't think the switch itself would be bad, but it is a possibility.

Aug 27, 2006, 09:20 PM
    Wow... fast response! Thank you!

The fan itself does not have a pull-chain. All controls are through the remote.

The remote receiver is a separate assy. sitting between the fan wiring and the home wiring. The remote assy. Has blk, red, and white wires that the fan connects to, with blk and white wires going to the home.

The switch worked fine with the previous fan (non-remote, 3-wire).
    nonadjustablemind Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 09:25 PM
    OK It sounds like the fan can only be operated with the remote >.<

Sometimes they come as either/or types, but yours sounds like it has to be used with the remote.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 03:53 PM
    I think the previous poster is correct. If the remote was included with the fan, and the fan does not have a separate (pullchain) control, you will have to use it to control the fan. You can try contacting Hunter to see if they have any ideas.
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 03:55 PM
    Let me ask you this: Where is the reverse function, on the fan body or on the remote?

Aug 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
    The reverse switch is on the fan body.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:08 PM
    I don't know why it Wouldn't work, if you wired it directly, but:

If it's designed to be used with a remote receiver, and you are using it without the remote receiver, and it's not working.. . 2+2 USUALLY equals 4.

Try it WITH the receiver. If it works then, well.. .

Aug 29, 2006, 10:31 PM
    Thank you for the response.
    2+2 does in fact equal 4. It works fine with the receiver and remote...

As the original question explicitly stated, I was inquiring as to the possibility of hard-wiring a "remote" fan to a 3-wire wall-plate, thereby circumventing the remote assy.

I guess it can't be done without rewiring the internal circuitry of the fan itself.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 08:47 AM
    In this case, based on the wiring you describe, I don't understand WHY the fan does not work when 120vAC is applied across the black/blue and white wires. But apparently it does not, and seeing as it is not right in front of me to look at, it's not surprising I'd miss something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Janitrol 7 wire to Honeywell RTH230B 5 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Janitrol digital thermostat. I can't read the model #. It has 8 terminals and 7 wires hooked up. Terminal - Color Y - Yellow Com - Blue R - Red G - Green w2 - Looks white E/w3 - Looks pink O - Orange B - Nothing

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

Wiring a 2 wire thermostat to a 4 wire system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace equipped with central air.The compressor is shot in the AC unit,and I needed to replace the thermostat so I bought a heating only thermostat.I have the blower and the w wires together on the w terminal designation and the rh on the r terminal designation, and I have the y wire...

View more questions Search