Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2005, 06:29 AM
    GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem?
    Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips

This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room

The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3 way but it is not wired to work exactly right, could that be the problem?

From one end( switch A), if a light is plugged in to the plug socket controlled by switch A and B, you can turn it off and on, if its on, you can turn it off from the other end switch (B), and on again, but if the switch at end (B) is left in the off position you can not turn on again by flipping (A) again, which is what it should do as a 3 way, if I understand 3 way switching correctly.

Could this botch wired 3 way cause the GFCI to pop off and on, I didn't notice anything else wired to that circuit other than what I listed and one hall light.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2005, 07:26 AM
    I doubt the miswired 3 way is the problem. It is also possible one of the switches has gone bad which could be causing both problems. I am not going to try to sort out the 3 way switches over the net. Check which wires go to each switch and the outlet. You have a pair of wires that is the feed. You must have at least 2 wires going to the outlet plus a 3 conductor with ground connecting the switches. There are several different ways to make then work. The switches are double pole. The contact at the bottom is switched back and forth between the 2 at the top. See if you can draw a diagram where it would work right. If you can't, check a reference work on how 3 way switches work. If it is wired that way and still doesn't work, disconnect the switches and see if they work.

Once you have the switches working, then if the GFIC problem continues, you can work on it. You might pull the outside outlet and clean it up. In damp weather cob webs could trip it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci spa panel tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a spa with 4 wires. The house is old and while the neutral & ground bus bars are separate in the spa panel, they are all on the same bar in the main panel. Do I need to install a ground rod by the spa panel to keep the gfci from tripping? (instead of running the ground back to the...

My Computer trips a 20 amp breaker... [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 500 watt power supply on my computer, and every time I turn it on in the room that I want to keep it in, the breaker goes. Is this normal? I plug the computer into other outlets on other breakers in other parts of my apartment with no problem, but in the 2 bedrooms that the breaker...

Breaker Trips [ 3 Answers ]

My furance Circuit breaker The main from the house input has stated to trip. It has happened twice this past weekend? Any ideas?

3-way bulb burns out and trips breaker? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a burnt 3-way bulb fail and trip the breaker? I was away on vacation with a timer on the light in question and when I came home the breaker that powers the circuit was dead and the 3-way bulb was burnt out. I replaced the bulb and all is fine now.

View more questions Search