Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Isa9862 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 08:15 PM
    My son is being bullied by his probation officer
    My son has had a PINS petition file on him due to truancy from school (suffering from anxiety and depression). His PINS (probation) officer insists on yelling at him at each meeting loudly enough that every word she says can be heard down the hall, around the corner and through a closed door. She doesn't care (told me that herself). Do I have any recourse? She yells at me, as well. My son suffers from depression and anxiety, and we are dealing with mental health professionals to solve the problem, yet are being threatened with foster care at least 4 hours away w/in the next month if he can't get to school every day. The PINS was only filed 1.5 months ago, and he has made SOME progress, but not as much as I would like. Each meeting with the PINS officer leaves us both drained and y son more depressed than ever.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 08:40 PM

No, this is there job to try to put some fear of God into them. And truancy is missing school, normally without permission,

So why are you not making your child go to school ? I would say you may let them yell and back up the PO and perhaps it may have some effect on their behavior.

Sorry I think you are taking the wrong side, and should be doing more yelling than the PO
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Isa9862 View Post
    My son has had a PINS petition file on him due to truancy from school (suffering from anxiety and depression). His PINS (probation) officer insists on yelling at him at each meeting loudly enough that every word she says can be heard down the hall, around the corner and through a closed door. She doesn't care (told me that herself). Do I have any recourse? She yells at me, as well. My son suffers from depression and anxiety, and we are dealing with mental health professionals to solve the problem, yet are being threatened with foster care at least 4 hours away w/in the next month if he can't get to school every day. The PINS was only filed 1.5 months ago, and he has made SOME progress, but not as much as I would like. Each meeting with the PINS officer leaves us both drained and y son more depressed than ever.
    When all of this excessive "yelling" is going on, is the building empty? Is there nobody else hearing it? The way I see it, one of two things is happening. Either a)the PO is out-of-line and her superior and/or co-workers won't do anything about it or b)you're giving us a slanted view of the situation. Personally, I'm going to say it's the latter.

You say your son has anxiety and depression; how old is he? Has he been to a doctor and been prescribed medication to deal with this? Why does meeting with his PO depress your son?

You also say that he hasn't made as much progress as you would like; why not? Who is/isn't at home making sure he gets up and gets to school every day?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 05:46 AM

Hello I:

They're not nice people. You can try to get a new PO for your son, but if you complain and it DOESN'T work, it'll be 10 times worse for your son.

If it was me, I'd let her yell. Frankly, if it was me, I'd yell back, but I'm not suggesting you do that.

excon
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2010, 06:09 AM

If you feel that her hard line stance is adversely affecting you son,get a statement from his doctor and speak to her supervisor.

On the other hand,it may be the only way to affect a change.

Sometimes a little tough love is just what the doctor ordered.
    If she is using abusive language and being derogatory in any way,that is another issue.

Seems that a wake up call is in order and you might be better served to be on her side here lest your son ends up in foster care.
    emacon Posts: 48, Reputation: -4
    -

Jan 16, 2010, 10:54 AM

You would be making a huge mistake complaining to a probation officers supervisor. If you think that probation officer is bad now wait until she finds out you complained to her supervisor.

Also, do you think you would be the first person to complain about a probation officer? Most people think a probation officer is just picking on them or in your case just picking on their child.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 05:37 PM

Be happy you are not in some of the states where they incarcerate the truant's parents when they habitually miss school.

Have you spoken to the son and have gotten to the bottom of just why he ducks school?

The PO is just doing their job and obviously your son does not like any form of authority. You could schedule a meeting with the PO and speak one on one with the individual to find out why the yelling is happening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Parole officer & Probation officer [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between Parole officer & Probation officer? If anybody know about this, please let me know.

Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !

Is there a probation officer out there? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is on probation for disorderly. He recently broke up with his girlfriend, a few weeks ago. 2 days before he is off probation his probation officer calls him in on a complaint that he made threats to her. She has no proof just her word. The officer put him in jail until she can...

When do you see a probation officer [ 1 Answers ]

If you have a sentencing date and you have no orders from a judge, when do you see a probation officer?

Probation Officer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all: There's a retired probation officer with the handle magprob. He's trying to hawk a book here. I don't know how much he's trying to sell it for, but don't buy it! He offers a free chapter. I read it. Of course, if YOU ARE a probation officer, then it might help you keeping your...

View more questions Search