Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angib Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2005, 01:06 AM
    USB - PS2 (p/s2) adapter
    Hi
    I have a laptop with XP and a dancemat which I use with it by using a USB-PS2 adapter - effectively the dancemat is a keyboard. This works fine with an old adapter of a friend which has the words "AWG space shuttle-c CSA LL80671 AWM IIA/B 80 degrees c 30" written on the wire.

I bought a new adapter (so I could return my friend's) but the new one doesn't work at all. I tried with another new one and that didn't work either. Neither worked on my mother's PC either although the old one does.

The new ones have written on them "LL112842 I/II A FT2 80 degreesC 30V HAURTIAN USB 2.0" on the mouse link, E188722 D (UL) TYPE CM - - " on the keyboard link and "188722 D (UL) TYPE" on the USB link.

I know there is version 1 and 2 of USB connections but don't understand the difference nor why the old cable works and not the new one.

Can anyone advise what is the difference between these 2 different cables and how I might find another of the old type please?

Many thanks
    Angi
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2005, 04:20 AM
    The difference between USB v1.1 & v2.0 is basically the transfer speed. USB 2.0 is much faster. That said, USB 1.1 leads will work fine with USB 2.0 ports and USB 2.0 leads should also work with 1.1 ports. So I can't see what's wrong.

I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried plugging something into both the mouse and the keyboard ends of the lead at the same time? I know that sounds dumb but I'm pretty sure I once encountered something like this where it needed something plugged into both PS2 ends before it worked.

Also, did the lead come with any kind of instructions on the packaging? If so, try reading those.
    cpinetworkingstudent Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2005, 08:00 AM
    Have you tried to use the new cables you have bought on your friends computer? Just trying to trouble shoot and make sure the cable aren't faulty? And also you may want to bring his cable with you when you go back to the store to purchase another one and try it out at the store first? That right there will help with all the guessing
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2005, 08:24 AM
    Adapter
    Hi,
    Just some thoughts:
    Some newer scanners come with a USB V.2 cable, but will NOT work with a computer using the USB V.1 port. I have seen this a few times.
    But, the scanner does work, using the older USB V.1 cable. Why? Don't know.
    Also, some of the local computer stores/repair shops near me have boxes and boxes of old ps2 adapters that don't work.
    Your best bet might be to take your computer to a local computer shop, and try different adapters until you find one that will work.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 27, 2005, 09:48 AM
    The thing I am not clear on here is what interface is on the dancemat? Is it a PS/2 plug or a USB plug. I suspect it's a PS/2 since you wouldn't need an adpater if it was USB.

What you might consider doing is plugging the dance mat directly into the external keyboard or mouse jack on the laptop. There should be a PS/2 jack for at least one of those. Then you wouldn't need an adapter.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2005, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The thing I am not clear on here is what interface is on the dancemat? Is it a PS/2 plug or a USB plug. I suspect its a PS/2 since you wouldn't need an adpater if it was USB.
    From how I'm, reading the question, I believe the dancemat has a USB connection and Angib wants to plug it in their PS/2 slot. Dancemats are a reaasonably new thing, so I doubt they would have PS/2 slots.

Anyway, couple of other things:

First, how many USB & PS/2 slots do you have? If the laptop is running XP it can't be that old and would have at least 2 USB slots I imagine. So I don't see what you wouldn't be able to simply unplug another device just while playing the game.

Secondly, instead of getting a "lead", you can get USB-PS/2 adapters that are a tiny box, USB goes into one end, on the other is the USB port. PC's often are sent out with these. They tend to be coloured purple or green to match the ports on the PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network adapter [ 3 Answers ]

I am back again.. by the way I never resolved the other issue but was wondering if I could trouble you again. I am trying to install Comcast onto my laptop but it says I do not have a network adapter. Now the question is this. . talked to comcast no help talked to some other people no help. What I...

Wireless Adapter Question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a LinkSys Wireless-B 2.4 Ghz 802.11B Notebook adapter on my laptop. If I ever want to switch the adapter or replace it, can I use another brand? I have a LinkSys 11mbs 802.11b Wireless router in my network. Will this work okay with my network as long as the specs of each adapter are the...

2 inch adapter for lav sink? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting in a pedestal sink but the old lav p-trap goes from the standard 1 1/2 inch or 1 1/4 inch (tailpiece connection) to a 2 inch female pipe thread connection. A piece of galvanized 2 inch pipe (male threads) then connects to the drain in the wall. All of the nice chrome drains these...

Infrared adapter [ 9 Answers ]

I have purchased a china make IrDA adapter (USB). But when I tried to install the driver, I got a message that the driver is not having windows logo stamped. Will it be harmful to the machine if I install this? Any suggestions to overcome this? Thanks

Monitor and Adapter Help Needed [ 2 Answers ]

My computer crashed and had to start over. My monitor use to allow me to run Real One Player videos. However now I cannot get the High (16) color. I have gone to the manufacturer site and downloaded the driver for my monitor. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix. I have also...

View more questions Search