Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PAULOWERKE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Hot point electric range voltage
    I purchased a 2 year old hotpoint electric range. Everything is working fine, but my electrition came by, put his meter on it and said that voltage was showing up on the steel panels. Not full voltage I believe something like 54 volts, enough to give a small shock. He says some voltage is seeping through somewhere. Could I have done something while cleaning it . I sprayed degreaser all over the control panel, could some of the cleaner got into the knob area and is some how shorting out some of the wires. Any help would be appreciated.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 11:17 PM
    He actually said said the voltage is "seeping thru"? I am unable to find seeping in my theory or code book. I must have been asleep through that class.

There is a severe short in the appliance, and the appliance is clearly not grounded properly. The grounding of this appliance needs to be checked and corrected, and the short needs to be eliminated.

Getting liquids or cleaners into the controls can cause this short, but a good trouble shooter can tracer the short and find exactly where the short is located or or what is causing it.

Get yourself a new electrician that can find the short, and correct the grounding, appliances can short out any time, everything breaks or fails, but there should never be 54 volts to ground off a metal frame of an appliance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Can I connect a 240 volt electric range to a 30 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renovating a rental unit and removed a 3 in one appliance (bar fridge/2 stove elements/sink). It was hooked up to 10/3 copper wire on a 30 amp breaker. I want to install a 24 inch electric stove/oven in it's place. I want to hook up a 24 inch electric stove/range to 10 gauge 3 copper wire...

GE Electric Range [ 6 Answers ]

Help! My electric Range is 3 years old. The range timer and clock are working,however the oven nor the surface units heat up. Does this sound like something I can repair myself or should I be calling a repair person?

White powder under electric range burner [ 4 Answers ]

We have an electric range, about 10 years old. Where one of the burner elements plugs in to the "socket" (under the stove top) there is a very fine white powder that collects under ONE of the element prongs. If we wipe it off, it forms again. It doesn't collect under the other prong of that...

View more questions Search