Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cranky1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Feb 27, 2010, 11:28 AM
    What do you think about Facebook?
    I need to decide whether I want to get involved in Facebook or whether I’m better off without it. I have no desire to join because of privacy issues. Despite the fact that I have told my friends and co workers several times that I’m not interested, they continually insist on forcing the issue. I’m baffled as to why they are being so persistent. I don't know what they are after. Is it something they want from me or is it more of a personal issue for them? Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I’m missing something here. I see and talk to them all the time so I don’t know what more they could want. Thanks.

Feb 27, 2010, 11:36 AM

Hmmm. I had to read this article for school last year. Let me know your thought:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/ma...26lives-t.html

Unable to find, page was closed.
    shindiawa Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 11:43 AM

I'm on Facebook all the time,people are only going to know what you show and tell them. Good Luck
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 11:44 AM

My friends and coworkers and even some of my family use it to communicate with people all at once. When my co workers throw parties, they announce it on Facebook. Some people use it to announce when they find out if they're expecting a baby girl or a baby boy. There's also picture sharing. It's really not that big of a deal. I don't know why they would continuously tell you to join. Maybe just because you're so against it. You could always see for yourself. Create a page and if you're not into it, deactivate it. There are privacy settings, you don't have to put every detail of your life into it.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2010, 11:47 AM

It's a personal choice. I use my account to talk to friends when I don't see them for a while or they are overseas. I do, however think they can be very destructive if they are used in other ways.

If you don't feel you want an account, don't have one. It's your choice.

Feb 27, 2010, 03:47 PM

If I were to join I could absolutely not join under my real name. I could open the account and keep my anonymity by making up a fictitious name. That way I can tell them I'm on and hope that will be the end of it. Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2010, 03:52 PM

If you are going to join anonymously, then why bother? I'm also on Facebook, I restrict access to my profile to people I add as friends. There are a lot of advantages to using Facebook to keep up with friends and family. Also lots of companies are creating Facebook pages to promote their products.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 03:54 PM

I do not know why your making a bigger deal out of it then it really is. You say your not worried about privacy yet you want to use a fake name. There are settings which you can make it so only your friends or and family and coworkers can see them and no one else.

I think your being paranoid. Everybody is on Facebook and they just want to play games and interact with you. That simple. There is nothing wrong with your friends, but remember it is your choice whether you want to sign up or not.

Joe
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 12:21 AM

Like scott said, why bother making one if you're going to use a fake name? I only add people I know. That's how a lot of people are. So no one would know your fake name. Or be able to find you. So they wouldn't believe you. I don't encourage lying, but really, if you're going to make a fake account, you might as well not and say you did. If you make a fake account, you won't have many friends, and then you'll definitely never get what the point of Facebook is.

May 31, 2010, 05:59 AM

I opened up the face book account using a fictitious name. I’m sorry to inform all of you, but nobody, and I mean nobody seemed to care that it wasn’t my real name. Within days everybody was sending out friendship requests telling everybody that it was me. Within 2 weeks I had over 100 friends. People from high school were writing, people I hadn’t seen since elementary school were writing. However I ran into a problem. Even though I posted on my page that I was married, happily married, nobody seemed to care about that either. All they could remember is that I was Homecoming Queen. I had guys from high school asking me out, girls from high school asking me out, people from work asking me out, and people inviting me to this party, that party or the other party, as if I have the time. I had finally figured out what face book was all about. I stated I had a privacy concern and that is why I deleted the account only 2 weeks after opening it. Ever since then I have read and heard so much in the news about face book and the lack of privacy that I am simply ecstatic I deleted the account. I have my private life back again. Just for the record, anybody I wanted to keep in touch with from high school I never lost contact with, they already have my number. There really was only one person I was happy to hear from. The rest, well obviously they have a lot of time on their hands. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 06:20 AM
    The problem in the last few years isn't that you have to wade through changing settings to set your privacy, it's that the owner cares little about not selling your data to third parties. It's true that the terms of use are changing regularly and privacy settings get changed without your consent. The other issue is that you will search high and low to find the place to delete your entire profile, it's made hard to find on purpose.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jun 3, 2011, 12:45 PM

It is a choice you will have to make, for me it is a hands now NO. I was a member and the privacy issues or the fact that FB usually seems to do the wrong thing as a standard course of action was a contributing factor to why I left. The real reason is that in my life's journey I have met and let slip away a lot of people. Finding them again or having them find me only served to remind me of why I chose not to take the effort to keep in touch in the first place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does Facebook mean in a relationship? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, So I am dating and in love with this girl, but she was in a relationship with another guy on Facebook when we met. When I confronted her about it, she said it was her ex boyfriend and they did it as a joke because some girl was trying to ask her ex out. Later, I asked her to change it, and...

Facebook [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to logon I put in my password. A statement says I can't get in due to Abusive behavor.. this is crazy... I'm a senior citizen and a goal to connect to friends And former employees... every time I fell in that test where you copy the letters, it Still doesn't work. I'm so...

Facebook? Or maybe not? [ 8 Answers ]

I am considering getting a Facebook. I once heard a story about someone who had a Facebook and (I don't remember all the details) but someone found her contact info and she was raped (I'm not sure if the story is even true). Is there anything I should consider before getting one? Is anyone able to...

Re Facebook [ 4 Answers ]

A friend put up some photos and I hate the one she put up of me. Can I keep it from Appearing on MY Facebook site?

View more questions Search