Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Santana_J Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2016, 01:53 PM
    Need to change locks
    Is there any locks out there that you would consider one the of the greatest. My house got broken into when I was away for work. I am looking to change my locks because there was no window break or door kicked in or anything like that so I am guessing someone has the key to my house some way. I really need help I really don't want this happening again.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2016, 02:16 PM
    Here are the ANSI standards for locks. However, note that the door may be the weakest link if you don't have extra long screws through the strikes.
    Best Door Locks: Will Yours Keep Burglars Out? | ASecureLife.com
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2016, 02:36 PM
    You can change the locks, but all you really need to change is the cylinders. Any decent locksmith can rekey the cylinders or provide new ones. If you feel that someone has your key, that's what you should do immediately. If you think the locks were picked, then you would want stronger cylinders that are less pickable. If you only have doorknob locks, they are very unsecure and you should add deadbolt locks to your doors.

But locks don't provide a great deal of security. A monitoring service and/or alarm system will provide you with greater piece of mind.
    Santana_J Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2016, 03:07 PM
    Thank you for all the info.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2016, 07:49 PM
    And if this is your home, I recommend a good metal door with a steel frame, and as noted really long screws into solid wood, if any of the frame is bad, it should be replaced also.

But a trained criminal can get into any house, a lock just keeps the honest people, and the untrained juv out of your house.

I always use security systems also.

But, if they want it bad enough, I live in a gated community with actual army on guard with patrols. You have to have a code to get into the apartment complex, another code to get into the building,

Yep, someone last year broke into my home, while I was on vacation and stole many items.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change locks [ 6 Answers ]

Recently went to court with ex boyfriend/father of my child for who gets the apartment the judge dismissed the case dueto unlawful filing of trespassing I still had the right to enter the premises after a couple days I went back to get my things and the locks were changed I called the landlord and...

Can I change the locks on someone who lived with me but was never on the lease [ 2 Answers ]

OK here's the deal I let my best guy friend crash on the sofa for 2 weeks. He soon was taking advantage of me so I asked him to be out in thirty days because he didn't have a job. Now he isn't on the lease and he has been very disrespectfull to the occupants that are on the lease. I also asked him...

In PA, if one spuse leaves can the other change the locks ? [ 4 Answers ]

A relative here in pa, his wife has left him took ALL her stuff, but when he is at work she returns and has been taking things that belong to him and or both of them. Can he legally change the locks if her name is on the mortgage ? Can he file a restrining order against her ? It's a NASTY...

Did I have right to change locks [ 5 Answers ]

I own my home in NH and I allowed a female to stay in a spare room that I have. I charged her 375 a month. There is NO written agreement.. I told her that SHE alone could rent the room. NO ONE ELSE. I did allow her grandson to stay over from time to time however. So a few weeks go by and I...

Can a landlord just change the locks? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Massachusetts and have a sticky situation and hope someone can help. We moved into a house on Nov 27 2007 and both myself and wife signed a lease with a stipulation in writing that in 6 months (it was a 6 month lease) the house would be put up for sale. The landlord said he would make a...

View more questions Search