Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jun 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Love, understanding love, types of love
    I thought this would be interesting to discuss.
    We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac.
    I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love.
    Raya- friendship sort of love
    Ahava- A love that results in marriage, the sort of love were you'd rather be with him/her than anyplace else
    Dod- Sex.

Lets discuss? Your experiences with love, understanding love, different types of love? How you can figure out what kind of love you feel, and if you love someone? How do you know if your feelings are a crush, or more?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:34 PM
    I know that my feelings are a "crush" on another person if I am infatuated with them. Time to back off then, and rethink what I am doing.

For me "Raya - friendship sorta love" does not fit my personality or the deep relationships with people that I have. I don't believe in a Raya type of love. I don't really think that it is love at all, but merely a passing fancy that may be had during a friendship. I have a number of friends whom I love. It is nothing light. The caring and support about each other between us is what I would call true love. There is nothing "sorta" about it.

In my opinion, most of the people whom we meet and become friends with are just acquaintances. Most of us don't have a lot of friends, but just acquaintances. The really true friends who love you are those that stick beside you in the good times as well as the bad. Some friends are summer friends, when everything is going great all around, they are there because there are no problems with which to deal. But, I love the winter type of friends who have the love to stay with you and support you when things seem to be dead. They are like the Evergreen trees during the wintertime - alive, well and "sticking it out" no matter what happens.

That's all for now. And, only my opinion.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
    P.S. I think that anyone who really gives your post much thought could probably go on and on about what love is and what it means to them and what types of love there are. This could become interesting based upon the experience of the individuals who post responses. Yours has been a good post. It is interesting.
    Jiser Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 281
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 01:45 AM
    Ok here's a good old rant about me and my life and my opinions:

I have allot of acquaintances, about ten people I would call friends and about four close friends who I could call up any time and let them know I needed help or speak to them for an hour at a time. I also have a best friend who I spend most of my time with doing various activities and we can usually talk for hours on end, specially with some booze.

However life is all about change. It amazes me but every human has an excellent capacity for change, without it we would not be who we are. Most of my friends will come and go, however a few stick around and we talk now and again or get together now and again. We adapt. In fact my current best friend I did not see for three years until I spotted him in the restaurant I was at with my ex.

I would not say I have a love with friends, I however have bonds and memories with certain people. We have our own way of acting, thinking etc and although it would hurt deep to never see them again well, at the end of the day there's plenty more fish in the sea.

Crushes are people who you may see from afar but don't know them or you just generally fancy them, however most crushes don't take over your life... Unless you have some sort of weird disorder!

Generally though I would think there are two types of love:

1) One for your immediate family/mother/father/siblings/children
    2) Romantic love

I care about my friends but I wouldn't call it love.

Jun 26, 2007, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiser
    Crushes are people who you may see from afar but don't know them or you just generally fancy them, however most crushes don't take over your life...Unless you have some sort of weird disorder!
    Lol... ive got feelings for a chick, we all call it a crush, but I don't know, I'm thinking about her 80% of the time, and I miss her so much, and she's a friend... and I would die for her, even if I were to die alone, unremarked, unnoticed, I would still die for her... I don't understand it, is it just a crush?
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Ask her out?

Jun 26, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Lol, a lot of people have said to do that. Thing is I don't think she feels the same way. I need to understand how I feel about her first anyway I reckon.
    Anyway... if she liked me, wouldn't she have said so, or asked me out? I think she has a vague idea of the fact that I like her.
    I really need to understand the way I feel for her though.
    lmnotok Posts: 217, Reputation: 37

Jun 26, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Did you tell her that you like her?
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 07:35 AM
    Unless she is shy she might be giving signals to look out for. I.E. flirting, touching, smiling, eye brow raising, eye pupil dilation, laughing at your jokes, staring at you, anything. If your really that worried about asking her out properly why not try to get to know her better with groups of people, thereby leaving some of the awkwardness out.

I don't know how close you two are, so its hard to tell. You keep a friendship or go for more up to you. Its usually obvious if someone likes you though!

Sooner or later though you going to have to make a choice, or she may the one which got away!

Jun 27, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Lol... ive been told by a friend that she likes me only as a friend.
    I don't want to wreck the friendship, she's stuck by me, kept the friendship going, no matter what I've done, no matter how many times I've pushed her away or whatever, she's always forgiven me, I don't want to lose such a great friend. Thing is,I don't know why but she hurts me so much, she doesn't do anything bad, it just hurts.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Well sooner or later your make your choice. If it hurts too much then withdraw from the friendship and don't spend time with her. You'll be able to see her reaction then!
    AmberS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    I thought this would be interesting to discuss.
    We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac.
    I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love.
    Raya- friendship sorta love
    Ahava- A love that results in marriage, the sort of love were youd rather be with him/her than anyplace else
    Dod- Sex.

Lets discuss? your experiences with love, understanding love, different types of love? How you can figure out what kind of love you feel, and if you love someone? how do you know if your feelings are a crush, or more?
    For People who believe in GOD all you have to do is read the bible it's a verse which I can't remember where but I think its somewhere in Coranthians that tells you exactly what love is and if your not felling jealousy, care, kindness, or understanding your not in love. That's only a sentence of that verse. It had a lot more to tell.
    elena3117 Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Dec 18, 2008, 07:01 AM

Raya- friendship sort of love
    Ahava- A love that results in marriage, the sort of love were you'd rather be with him/her than anyplace else
    Dod- Sex.
    VERY GOOD... actually it's very smart! I think we have to adopt those three words... everything would be more easy then...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

In love with someone who doesn't love me anymore. [ 8 Answers ]

I started dating my ex in Apirl of last year. We got pregnant within the first three months, and my hormones and emotions starting going crazy. I was treating him like crap, saying things like I didn't want to be with him, I would ruin the evening by thinking he didn't want me there, even though...

Does Love exist? Is there such thing as love? [ 22 Answers ]

I was wondering what is your opinion or thoughts on this situation, I went through a couple of months ago (in 2006). It was nearing the end of my first year at University, I was dancing on the last night the pub was open; suddenly, I saw a good-looking, kind of modest girl and I got the...

I love a girl but does she love me [ 19 Answers ]

I met this beautiful girl we went out but then she said she didn't want a boyfriend right now and its tearing me apart because we love each other and I don't know how love can disappear so fast I mean it must be there still right

I love this boy that doesn't love me. [ 18 Answers ]

There is a boy I met that I think I fell in love with. He is a really good guy. He likes me back but he recently got a girlfriend that he loves. I don't know should I move on or what... :confused:

Like or love or what? [ 10 Answers ]

I just got dumped by a guy I truly care about and he claims to still love me too yet he dumped me for another girl. Why would he dump a girl he says he loves for a girl he only likes?

View more questions Search