Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockyt Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Gas Vs. Electric
    I am terrible with engines so I was considering getting all electric Lawn equipment. What do you think I would be sacrificing ? I have a zero Lot line so I don't have that much to cut and Some of the equipment is wireless.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2006, 06:12 AM
    I can relate my experiences. First, I purchased an electric Snow Blower about 3 years ago. After the first winter I greatly regreted it. Having to deal with the cord has added about 25-50% more time in clearing the driveways.

Also, this spring I opted for a cordless string trimmer over my corded one, even the corded one was fairly new. I found the hassle in getting out the cord and rolling it back up was discouraging to my doing the trimming. With the cordless model, I do the work more often.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 06:27 AM
    As long as you keep the yard maintained, as in no big overgrowth or weeds, you can probably get along OK, with a loss of some power.

If you are saying that there's a good chance you'll seize up a gas mower because you won't keep it in oil, then its probably a great idea if you're willing to not gripe about the cords. An electric mower will be a little less powered, which means you cannot let the grass get too tall or plow through thick weeks or you'll be slowed down. The decks are often smaller, so its more passes back and forth. Remember, you'll still need to keep the blade sharpened.

Same goes for electric string trimmers... they'll be underpowered with tough weeds and thick, overgrown grass... but for general maintenance you can probably be fine. Troy-built and ryobi both have decent electrics for about $60 that can perform OK. I've never really been a fan myself, finding that cheaper electrics feel like they'll fall apart if you sneeze wrong. Id stay away from weed eater and black and decker electrics and the cordless string trimmers are a joke.

Sep 7, 2006, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    id stay away from weed eater and black and decker electrics and the cordless string trimmers are a joke.
    I'm not laughing. I have several B&D electric yard tools and couldn't be happier with them. Now I grant you that I have a fairly small needs. I have a 60'x100' lot with no lawn. The front is mostly driveway and the back is decked and landscaped. I don't own a lawn mower and after almost 20 years in the house I feel no need for one. When I moved in, I bought as B&D electric trimmer which lasted 15 years. I also have had 2 B&D Electric Hedge trimmers, the first lastling 10 years and I burned it out trying to trim too large branches.

As I said, I replaced a B&D corded model (anyone want to buy it?) with a cordless model in the spring. With my needs, it works fine. I generally spend about a half hour every week or so trimming a 3'x15' patch on the curb and the edges of landscaping. The 12 Volt battery has never run out and the convenience definitely induces me to do the work more often.

Sep 7, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Sounds like you have more yard than me. My biggest concern with the gas equipment was needing tune ups or other repairs. Can they be costly and do you have to bring them in for maintence often?

Sep 7, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Isn't it a pain in the neck to keep mixing gas and oil and running out of gas in the middle of the job. And spark plugs going bad ? What else can go wrong that you can think of. Im still torn between the two.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm not laughing. I have several B&D electric yard tools and couldn't be happier with them. Now I grant you that I have a fairly small needs. I have a 60'x100' lot with no lawn. The front is mostly driveway and the back is decked and landscaped. I don't own a lawn mower and after almost 20 years in the house I feel no need for one. When I moved in, I bought as B&D electric trimmer which lasted 15 years. I also have had 2 B&D Electric Hedge trimmers, the first lastling 10 years and I burned it out trying to trim too large branches.

As I said, I replaced a B&D corded model (anyone wanna buy it?) with a cordless model in the spring. With my needs, it works fine. I generally spend about a half hour every week or so trimming a 3'x15' patch on the curb and the edges of landscaping. The 12 Volt battery has never run out and the convenience definitely induces me to do the work more often.
    Nothing more frustrating than running out of juice or power. I have a bigger lot and when I borrowed a friends B&D cordless, well... I just wasn't impressed. Id rather buy a tool that can last and I can take with me to another house and not have to ditch. I also help maintain a few other houses from time to time (older relatives) so I need a more versatile machine I guess. Yes, you can get out there more often. Yes, if you don't buy the cheapest B&D or weedeater you might be OK. I think for another 30 bucks you can get an electric that is far superior. Doesn't mean the cheapies can't get the job done.

Sep 7, 2006, 07:37 AM
    I don't think you need to mix on most newer machines. But yes spark plug fouling is an issue with gas machines. A lot depends on your yard needs.

Sep 7, 2006, 07:40 AM
    My cordless wasn't the bottom of the line, more in the middle. And yes, if I had a larger yard, or helped out other neighbors, I might opt for more power. My point was that, for the average suburban homeowner with a small lot, B&D makes fine products and even a 12volt cordless can do the job.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyt
    Isnt it a pain in the neck to keep mixing gas and oil and running out of gas in the middle of the job. and spark plugs going bad ? What else can go wrong that you can think of. Im still torn between the two.

Its really not that much more work. I have a gas marked for oil and gas. Every 3 weeks or so I refill it with the right blend. And really if spark plugs are your worst nightmare, then you're fretting about nothing.

Again... an electric will do an OK job as long as the grass is reasonable. But you'd better be willing to be out there more often.

I've never had a mower about which I said "this just has too much power". My father in law had a weed wacker that did have more power than I needed... the thing could beat many others on idle. A powerful trimmer, in my mind, is good, as long as it is balanced right.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 07:43 AM
    I'm not bashing B&D products, and for a person with no lot line... its probably fine, and the power issue is certainly not as big a deal.
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 07:48 AM
    A B&D grass hog cordless is about $90-100.

The gas stihl fs-45 is about $40 more, and a ton more power.

But again, for this person on this lot, yeah, I'm probably being a little testosterone rich.

Buy the electrics if you want and if you hate them, sell them at a yard sale. Power eqpt tends to sell well enough and if you don't spend a lot to begin with you won't lose a lot.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2006, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyt
    Isnt it a pain in the neck to keep mixing gas and oil and running out of gas in the middle of the job. and spark plugs going bad ? What else can go wrong that you can think of. Im still torn between the two.
    I don't find it much of a pain... just simply dump the right ratio of oil into a big can of gas... and fill it up... spark plug fouling shouldn't be a issue unless you are running it too rich either in fuel or oil in the mix (2 cycle), 4 cycles can foul them from low compression, too much fuel to burning oil...

Black and decker is (for electrics) what I call OK in quality... of course you'll get better if you pay more... but it should do you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Force and Electric Field? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can some one explain to me briefly what's the different between electric force and electric field? I am having trouble to make them clear to myself. Thanks you so much. Jack

Electric Brakes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire in a Tekonsha Electric Brake controller into a 1992 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab? Thanks for your replies!

Bath electric [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bath that has wiring for an existing switch and old light (which has an electric plug attached). I want to put in a new switch to control the new light and additionally install a GFI outlet. How do I convert my existing switch to light wiring to a switch that turns on/off light,...

Electric showers [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom,I only found this site yesterday. Can the british showers work in the usa. What about the voltage difference. Or can I find something similar in the usa. Thanks olivia

Electric showers [ 3 Answers ]

My old shower broke it was a 7.5kw,can I buy a 8.5kw or higher and connect it to the plumbig/electrical supply already in place? Could someone tell me what kw means,is it electric or pressure term. :confused:

View more questions Search