Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 14, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Pressure tank cut off switch defective?
    When I run too much water in the house the cutoff switch shuts down till I manually flip the lever to get it back running again... we cannot run more than 2 faucets at a time.. any ideas?the switch is roughly 2 months old... turns on around 30 shuts off around 50.. thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    when i run too much water in the house the cutoff switch shuts down till i manually flip the lever to get it back running again....we cannot run more than 2 faucets at a time..any ideas?the switch is roughly 2 months old...turns on around 30 shuts off around 50..thanks

I'm confused. If you have a 30/50 PSI control Box then when the cut off contact shuts down,(opens up) then you would have 50 PSI in your system. And what "lever" do you have to flip? Square D boxes, (see image) do not have a lever to flip. What happens when you run more then two faucets at a time? Is what you're attempting to tell me is that the cut in contacts do not energize when you draw the pressure down and that there's no pressure left after the system drains down? I'm sorry but could you rephase and clarify your question. Regards, Tom
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 14, 2006, 11:28 PM
    No problem... when the pressure gets down around 30psi. And just about to pressurize the tank the safety switch cuts out and the well pump shuts off... but the pressure tank is still holding pressure... it doesn't leak... my switch looks almost like that but is a combo pressure switch and low pressure cut off switch... this only happens when it seems there is too much demand for water... I am going to pull the pump this week being its very shallow and see what the make and model is... maybe it's a very low hp pump
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    no problem....when the pressure gets down around 30psi. and just about to pressurize the tank the safety switch cuts out and the well pump shuts off...but the pressure tank is still holding pressure...it doesn't leak...my switch looks almost like that but is a combo pressure switch and low pressure cut off switch...this only happens when it seems there is too much demand for water...i am gonna pull the pump this week being its very shallow and see what the make and model is.....maybe its a very low hp pump
    Hey Tommy,
    BeforeI went to the hassle of pulling the pump why not change out the combo pressure switch and low pressure cut off switch to a regular 30/50 PSI Square "D" control box. Looks like the low pressure cut out switch on your present control box is working too good. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure/bladder tank losing pressure? [ 11 Answers ]

Well, I have asked some questions about my plumbing before. So I am calling on you guys once again. I have a 52 gallon pressure tank/bladder tank made by wellsaver. I turn the water on and have good pressure for a few minutes then it basically goes dead with no pressure. I recently posted questions...

Should I replace my pressure tank? [ 7 Answers ]

13-year-old house with well & septic. A pipe in the incoming water line failed last fall and I made a temporary replacement; time for permanent repair now. While I'm at it, I want to increase water pressure so flushing a toilet doesn't kill flow during a shower. Well pump cuts in at 40 PSI and...

Tank Pressure vs Pump Cut Out Pressure for Well [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to increase my water system pressure to the minimum required 40 PSI to feed my reverse osmosis drinking water filter. However, the 33 gallon pressure tank for my well pump system says it is pre-charged at 30 PSI and that the cut in pressure for my pump should be set equal to that 30...

New pressure tank? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had my well pump replaced. Ever since, the pump kicks in after a gallon or two of water use. I called the well pump installer immediately when we noticed the problem (which did not exist until he came out to replace the pump), but he won't show up to check it out. Kidnapping him and...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search