Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PJ Saenz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Thyroid Tests
    I just had some labs and an ultrasound done recently as my thyroid is enlarged and tender. On the labs the T3 came back as 183 and the ultrasound showed multiple nodules. My doctor said they are non-toxic (praise God!), but I am concerned as I am a diabetic (type II on pills), have hypertension, GERD, depression, & migraines. Needless to say, I am already on numerous medications and really worry about starting Synthroid. An intern suggested a biopsy, but the doctor said he doesn't feel that is necessary right now. To my knowledge, no on else in my family has had thyroid problems. Should I have a biopsy yet, what is T3 (I was so stunned by test results I did not even ask my doctor what that was!! )
    What are the chances of these growing even with med? Possible surgery later?:confused:
    Thank you for your time!
    PJ
    DrWood Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 22, 2006, 07:49 PM
    PJ

The thyroid synthesises thyroid hormone by combining a protein with iodin that it absorbs from the blood. It stores the hormone for later release into the circulation under the influence of thyroid stimulating hormone from the pituitary gland. The thyroid makes two kinds of thyroid hormone, both of which do exactly the same thing but are a little different in their shape. 93%of the hormone is the weaker T4 type and 7% is the more potent T3 type. These hormones act to regulate the basal metabolic rate in the body and disturbances in their concentration can have wide ranging and serious effects.

I am not entirely sure that what you have understood or interpreted what the doctor has told you. Toxic nodules are those which have adverse effects in the body - they produce tooo much thyroid hormone. I think that you may have been told that they are not malignant - they aren't cancer. Also the test for thyroid is the blood levels of T4 and TSH not T3.

I think that you should call or visit you doctor again and ensure they know all about your other conditions and medications and ask them to explain your condition to you as clearly as possible so you can make wise decsions about your treatment.

DrWood
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Dec 2, 2006, 07:35 PM
    You might want to check out these sites as they may answer some of your questions regarding the thyroid. www.thyroid-info.com www.canaryclub.org I have lived with an underactive thyroid since 1986. Now in process of having all my silver fillings replaced to see if I can get off the thyroid medicine as mercury can affect the thyroid. Hope this may help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thyroid/Blood Tests [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I don't have very much money and I'm self-employed with no health insurance. I am a 25-year-old female and went to a low-cost acupuncture clinic that is part of an integrative medical office with acupuncture and traditional Western medicine. I went in February because I had been very sick...

Help! Thyroid Cancer? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had thyroid cancer ! He had radiation therapy and also had his thyroid removed! Can this cause him to become infertile? I need to know!

Soy and thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Do soy products interfere with thyroid medication and functioning? If so, did prior use of soy cause irreversible damage?

Thyroid [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you so much for you info on tumor removel , I have one question , My mother inlaw has a tumor on her thyroid non-cancerous type . Im trying to find info on just removeing the tumor none of the lobe or thyroid at all is there a possible surgery out there . Rita J

Thyroid [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for anybody out there that can help , I have a tumor on my thyroid and they want to remove my whole thyroid it is on my left side , my question is , there a surgery that can remove the tumor but not the whole thyroid. Thank You Rita Litwin

View more questions Search