Ask
    paschal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem
    Equipment:
    Trane XL1400 4 years old
    Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits
    Filters changed every 30 days
    I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year.
    Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II

Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not.
    It is obvious as I can feel the very warm air genrerated and then look at the thermostat and see the green (aux) lamp on.

Just noticed it a while ago as well. It is 38 degrees F damp and windy today.
    What are the possibilities?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2007, 04:27 PM
    There is a differential in the thermostat for the 2 stages of heat. So if you set the stat at 38 when it gets down to 36 the aux heat comes on. (this differential can usually be adjusted in the stat) Also when the heat pump goes into defrost it is actually air conditioning your house, so to counter act that, it turns on the aux heat so you don't feel the cold air blowing.

Jan 17, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    There is a differential in the thermostat for the 2 stages of heat. So if you set the stat at 38 when it gets down to 36 the aux heat comes on. (this differential can usually be adjusted in the stat) Also when the heat pump goes into defrost it is actually air conditioning your house, so to counter act that, it turns on the aux heat so you don't feel the cold air blowing.
    OK I can understand that but need to ask further.

To clarify the thermostat, I set it at hold 70 degrees for the winter season 24 hours a day. I only use setbacks in the summer hot weather. I just do not remember in past winters seeing the aux kick in at any time in previous years until the outside air was in the low twenties. One suggestion that I had was to give the coils a good cleaning, but unsure of best method. Should I go with compressed air, water hose, or what. I also have to figure out how to get the cover off the unit itself.

The outdoor unit is in the rear of the house somewhat in a pocket to protect it from the cold front high winds that we get here.

Jan 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
    To add more info, I just checked the outside unit. The aux heat was on. It is forty five degrees outside. The fan was not spinning outside, but the unit was humming. I'm guessing defrost cycle. After it finished cycle, I reset power, thermostat etc, but think I have done this a couple days ago.

I am pretty sure this is getting out of bounds of normal operation.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Wind doesn't afffect a heat pump it actually helps. Yes it was in defrost if the fan was not running in the condenser. What I'm talking about on the differential is. When the heat pump can no longer keep up, and the inside temperature starts to fall below set point the aux/emergency heat turns on. I don't know why you reset the unit. And do not clean the resistive heat elements, they will clean themselves, that is why it smells when you first turn it on. Make sure all the connections are tight, that none of them have hot spots, the evaporator coil, blower wheel, motor and filters are clean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central Electric Heat problem [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Rheem electric central heating system that when in the heat mode will not turn on the blower when the thermostat is in the auto position. The heat coils will come on but the blower will not come on unless I put the fan switch on the thermostat in manual position. I am trying to determine...

Intermittent buzz from electric heat pump [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I did a quick search for my problem and couldn't find any answers. I have a Bryant heat pump that is making an intermittent buzzing sound. It sounds like an alarm type of buzz, It sounds kind of like a "let someone into your apartment door buzzer". It only lasts for about a second, and happens...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Electric Heat-Pump-No heat [ 2 Answers ]

I had a wall-mounted unit installed in a room in may of this summer. In the middle of the night the heat shut off and has not come back on since. It is an Amana, electric heat with heat pump unit. The cooling works, the heating setting does not blow air at all. When I remove the cover it says...

Heat pump vs electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump with a two stage thermostat, 1st stage is heat pump, 2nd stage is electric (resistance) heat. Is it ever more economical to run the furnace with resistance heat only, not the heat pump? I know that the outdoor temperature affects the ability of the heat pump to work, but is...

View more questions Search