Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cathru Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 02:45 PM
    Help with sewage smelling basement!
    Thanks for any input. Let me begin by saying I know NOTHING about the plumbing in my 100+ yr old home so let me provide you with some information. I have a stone block foundation that has leaked since the day I moved in so I'm not a stranger to seepage in my basement. Lately though ANY time I use the washing machine, dishwasher, shower or even flush more than once in 10 minutes I get a POOL of water in my basement that SMELLS horribly! Definitely a sewer smell. Upon investigating, it seems to be slowly leaking in from under the cement floor forming a little pool. I have a sump pump that spews the smelly stuff out when it get's too deep which doesn't make ANYONE happy. I have this covered, brick, cylidrical basin thingy under my back porch that I think is what fills and then shoots to the sewer that I've emptied -GROSS- but I still get the water and the smell. It's very near where the smelly stuff is coming up into the basement. In addition to the seepage and smell, 2 of my sinks don't drain and I hear gurgling sounds from them even when I'm not doing the wash. I think I'm looking for guidance more than a solution. I can't live with the smell anymore. Because even when It's not leaking,IT SMELLS! Thanks again for any attention to this matter! Cathy
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 10:41 AM
    I think you've got more than one issue going on.

For a basement to get - even a lot - of groundwater is one thing, but sewage is another.

So this yuck is definitely not backing up through the floor drain?

Sep 28, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Reply to rick j re:yuck
    Definitely NOT coming from the floor drain. Its coming from a crack in the floor that is right near the sewage basin outside of the house
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 01:00 PM
    Then get as many contractors as you can out there to give you
    1. A good explanation of their method of correcting it (there are a few different ways that you will hear), and
    2. Their price to do it.

Don't settle on 2-3... get at least a half a dozen.

There is no do-it-yourself (or even close) solution to the problem.

Sep 28, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Rickj - Re:answer
    I'll Do That. Thank You Thank You. Just For Curiosity's Sake. What Do You Think It Is?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2005, 02:35 PM
    Hi Cathy,

You ask,"Just For Curiosity's Sake. What Do You Think It Is?"
    You say, " I have this covered, brick, cylidrical basin thingy under my back porch that I think is what fills and then shoots to the sewer."
    What sewer? Septic tank or city sewer? How big is this "basin thingy"? Your septic sounds like it's loaded and needs to be pumped or replaced. As for the gurgling it could either be a blocked vent or blowback from a loaded septic system. Rick gave you good advice about calling in a plumber to let you know exactly what's wrong. Please keep us advised. Good luck. Tom

Oct 21, 2005, 11:22 AM
    Sewer smell update
    Had a bit of bad luck and so I'm just sourcing plumbers right now. I'll keep you posted! BTW - I'm on a city sewer system and this brick "basin" is about 3 feet across and 5 feet deep, tapering smaller near the bottom. It's outside at ground level, covered w/ a "manhole" like cover. It's filled with lots of smelly, icky sludge. My house is 102 yrs old. I'll post info as I get it! Cathy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Hi Cathy,

Your brick pit sounds like a grease trap that catches and holds the grease from the kitchen sink and soap from the washer before it can get into the septic tank and clog up the drain field. While you may be connected to the city sewer at the present time I guarantee that back then the house was connected to a septic system. What you can do at this time is bypass the brick pit and discharge directly into the city sewer.
    At the same time you might wish to snake out the sewer line. Sounds like it's backing up and leaking out from a cracked pipe of a faulty joint. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black water/sewage in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a septic system which was cleaned out and inspected about a month ago, and the pipe from the house to the septic was snaked. Tonight, black sludge and water backed up into my basement from the drain pipe in the basement whenever I did a load of wash. Is there any remedy I can use on my own?

Sewage backing up into basement [ 1 Answers ]

If sewage is backing up in basement and saturating entire carpet/pad shouldn't it be completely replaced after plumbing problem is fixed? Doesn't carpet harbor spores and bacteria? Isn't it a health hazard? How do you clean up after something like this? What would a plumber suggest? Thanks, Tom

Eew Sewage In Basement Shower Stall [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a house last year. Today i discovered sewage from the upstairs toilet in the downstairs shower stall. What caused this and what do i do now. Please help:confused:

Sewage Smell in Basement bath [ 6 Answers ]

We moved into this house last February. The house uses a septic tank which is located itneh front yard. Teh lot slpoes downwards towards the back. As a result, the basement bath is located lower than the septic tank. In the last 2 or 3 months the smell has become unbearable. We rarely use...

Basement Sewage odor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Sorry if my question is redundant, but I searched the posts and couldn't quite find one that met the same situation I have encountered. My wife and I recently bought a home that was built 3 years ago. It has 3 bathrooms, one being in the basement. The problem we have noticed is a...

View more questions Search