Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Captain Mortgage Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Need to start my Honda Civic
    Hi, I have a 93 civic and it decided to stop working the other day, doesn't even try to start. I tried jumping it but that does't seem to work. I just checked this website here and realized that there are about 7-8 different things that it could be, and I would probably have to take my axel off to get to this stuff. But my question is. How can I start my car without a working starter? I remember in my buddies chevy I could just stick a screw driver somewhere but I'm not really sure where I could do that with my car. All I want to do is get my car started and get it to a mechanic who can fix it for me.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Battery could be bad. Put it on a charger and see if it holds a charge. Summer heat is very hard on batteries.

Aug 11, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Battery could be bad. Put it on a charger and see if it holds a charge.

Tried that, The battery's good
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Wack the starter solenoid with a mallot and see if the car will start.

Aug 11, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Seriously? Also where is the starter in that car? I'm not very mechanical with cars.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a multimeter.

Aug 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
    All the under-hood fuses are good, didn't check the under-dash fuses though. I'll check them when I get home
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Yes, if the solenoid is hanging up the starter won't get electricity. It's just below the distributor and to the left.

When you turn the ignition ON:
    . Does the Check Engine Light come on?
    . Does the Check Engine Light stay on or does it go out after 2 seconds?
    . Do you hear the fuel pump run?

If all of that checks out and it's just that the car won't crank, I'd focus on replacing the starter solenoid and, if need be, the starter. If the solenoid is not getting power, it could be a fusible link (wire fuse) issue. Other possibilities are bad connections, faulty ignition switch, or faulty clutch interlock.

Aug 11, 2006, 01:02 PM
    The check engine light comes on then goes off after 2 seconds. The lights work, the radio works.

Don't know what the fuel pump sounds like.

When I try to start it. It clicks once, and then nothing
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 01:19 PM
    That sounds encouraging. Likely, it's a bad starter solenoid--easy to replace. It may even just be corossion on the solenoid terminals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

My Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

I read CroCivic's post about testing your Honda Civic, and there is some great information in there, but I have a 1991 Honda Civic 1.5 liter that won't start, but there is to fault code showing on the computer. The car had just pulled out from a stop at an intersection, and it just died. No...

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

89 Honda CIVIC: No Start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 89 Honda Civic that has not been started in over a year. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. It started and ran very reough for about 10 seconds. Now it has no spark and I don't hear a click when the ignition swaith is turned on. I checked and there is no blink on the ECU light....

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

View more questions Search