Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kwillmert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Upgrading Digital Thermostat w/ Heat Pump & Gas Aux
    Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation for a new thermostat.
    I currently have an electric heat pump with gas backup and two-stage blower. The current thermostat is a very basic digital model ( White-Rodgers ) and is working properly, as far as I can tell. It works like this:

Heating Mode: Activates heat pump as normal until it decides (somehow) that it's not working well enough at which point it activates stage 2 which only increases the blower speed. If this is insufficient to heat the home, I have to manually switch it to...

Emergency Heat Mode: Activates gas furnace, ignoring temperature setting, and runs until it feels it needs a break.

Cooling Mode: Unused by me so far, home inspector successfully tested.

Auto-changeover mode: Switches between Heating mode and Cooling mode as needed

The manual that the previous homeowner left me is not the correct manual for this brand & model of thermostat, so it's not too helpful. My model has 8 wire terminals and 6 of them are in use (6 small wires coming out of the wall).

What I am looking for is a model that will switch to the gas furnace backup automatically, or at the very least, mind the temperature setting. It would also be nice to have one that is backlit and programmable. I am not very concerned about price.

With a modern thermostat already connected for reference, I would be comfortable installing this myself. I also have access to a friend in the HVAC business for advice/help if need be.

Thank you for your time!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Try googling "Talkingthermostat" this will take you to a website of a company that handles stats for every applications, including stats that can be controlled over your telephone. You may want to just call them once you're at their site as opposed to searching on your own.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2007, 02:09 PM
    I would start at
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html There is some very good material there. You might also look around locally at what is available. I think many heat pump capable thermostats are capable of selecting aux heat when you need it.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 04:52 PM
    It needs to be 2 stage heat, I like Honeywell's vision pro 8000 myself, I've had one on my wall since the day it came out (Promo :-) ) and I still love it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I was not trying to sell you the telephone stat, just mentioning that it is one of many products they carry. NorthernHeat recommends honeywell's 8000 and it is a good fit for your needs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Aux heat vs emergency heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have kenmore furnace/heatpump/air units. The thermostat has a switch for heat and one for emergency heat and both have light indicators. The aux heat indicator is lit when heating the house on "heat". When should the emergency heat setting be selected?

Thermostat compatibility with heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman heat pump--CPLE24-1-- 2 ton -and need to replace the thermostat-what do I need to know when purchasing a new one?

Changing Heat pump Thermostat. [ 2 Answers ]

Currently have a Honeywell T841A1712 Multi-Stage Heat pump thermostat. I am changing to a Honeywell RTH7500D. All is good except that the manual states "If the old thermostat had wires on W1, Y1, and W2, some modification is required. Call your loca heating and cooling contractor for...

Wire colors for heat pump thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a programmable therostat, two of the indentification stickers fell off the wires. The wires colors are blue and brown and I don't want to hook them up wrong. The "ports" are E and C. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search