Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ed s Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Goodman gas heater
    I have a modelgmpn120-5 gas heater.. today I had gas company look at it.. it runs good for a while.. then shuts down... I go down take a black vacuum hose off.. it has water in it.. I empty it.. heater runs.. today the guy from the gas company said the secodary heat exchanger was bad... how much trouble is it to change
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 08:47 PM
    If the gas company shut the gas off to the furnace you have to call some one certified to fix it. If not it may just be a restriction in the drain, all 90% seer have to drain water. If the drain is clogged it will not work. (pressure switch will lock it out) check to see if water is in the condensate line when it leaves the furnace. If so clogged drain.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2006, 09:01 PM
    If the heat exchanger is bad, this is a serious problem, much more than backed up condensed water. The secondary heat exchanger is going to be sealed at both where the combustion gasses and supply air enter and where each exits. You may have to tear half the furnace apart to remove it and replace it.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2006, 08:24 AM
    It is a real pain to change the secondary or primary heat exchanger. How old is it? How many times has it broke down recently? I know I sound like a typical tech trying to push equipment, but I personally wouldn't own a Goodman/Janitrol furnace. If it is over 10 years old, you will better in the long run to replace it. Just look on this months posts how many Goodman furnace problems there have been. You don't see many Rheem, Ruud, American Standard, Trane or Thermal Pride posts.

Nov 4, 2006, 03:13 PM
    The heater runs for a day sometimes 3 days,. then once a gain you have to take the 1/4 inch hose off and drain the water out of the hose I take off goes from the circ motor to a black round thing..

Nov 4, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Also on that heater problem... it is 7 years old... used in my beach house... maybe 6 months since it was installed... this past summer while running g the a/c I noticed wetness under the a coil
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Forget about the water. The leaking heat exchanger could kill you.
    heat08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Your goodman heat exchanger has a warr on it .goodman has a replacement program . I would consider the furnace change out. Most furnace companies go through a heat exchanger problem some time. Rheem went through it with the unsell 90+ gas furnace carrier and bryant are having secondary heat exchanger problems now, BY supply has a pile of heat exchangers in the supply house. Goodman is now amana. Both rheem and goodman have gone to tubular. Heat exchangers is much more efficient with the air flow so there is fewer hot spot to go bad .
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 02:13 PM
    The origanal post is almost 2 yrs, old.
    pmata36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Hello I Fix a problem like this one, before, is the hose connected to the inducer fan moter? If it is make sure is not to long try to make shorter so it won't hang. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman Heater issue [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have GMP075-3 model of a Goodman gas furnace. The heater would make the sounds that it was beginning to work. I could see the ignitor light but then nothing else would happen. The repair guy came and said the Burner roll-out limit was somehow tripped the other day. Possibly from a down...

Goodman Gas Furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Gas Furnace, the hot surface ignite will not come on nor the flame sensor. I have tried everything and I am fresh out of ideas. Could you please help me on this. Thanks

Goodman gas valve [ 2 Answers ]

I have a goodman model gmp 125-4. Last night I had a limit switch open code, I fixed it, the fan limit switch. Tonight I get a code 5 "false flame sensed", "gas valve stuck". I hit the valve with a scredriver handle, because I was told it might losen up the gunk sticking the valve. When I hit...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

View more questions Search