Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tax_calculate Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Worked in 2 states on H1. W2 shows only employer's state.
    Hi,

I have worked in CT From Jan 2006 till Aug, 2006 and then from Sept2006 till date in PA.

My employer is based in CT and my pay stubs show tax deduction for CT till date.

I have lived in CT ( on lease ) when I was in CT working onsite as a consultant for a company in CT. Now I have lease in PA and I am working as a consultant onsite in a company in PA. My employer is based in CT.

My W2 form refers to only CT state for tax deduction.

So, if I file my taxes for CT state only, will it be okay ? Do I need to file for PA. My W2 makes no mention of PA.

If I have to file for CT and PA, do I need to get new W2 from my employer?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 10:06 PM
    A new W-2 will not help, as no PA income taxes were withheld.

You need to file state returns for both CT and PA.

Recommend you get professional tax help!

Mar 12, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Thanks for the response.

I had one question. Don't I fall into a temporary resident category of PA ? I work as a consultant on H1B. My contract on-site in PA will come to an end by March end of 2007 and I will move to another state in near future.

Still I need to file state taxes for PA along with CT for 2006 ?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Did you live in a hotel or apartment? Pay utility bills?

If an apartment and YES on the utility bills, PA considers you a resident.

Mar 14, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Yes, I have an apartment on lease in PA and I have paid utility bills in PA.

Thanks for the response.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I file my Taxes if I worked in 2 States [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, How should I file my taxes, and what forms should I use? Last year while I was finishing my graduate degree in Utah, and I was also working at the university. By the way, I was an international student. Now I am working in Massachusetts, on my work permit visa (optional practical training...

Lived and Worked in two States [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I lived in Idaho from Jan. 06 through August 06. And in August moved to Utah, where I currently live. How do I file both my State and Federal Taxes?:confused: I understand that I will need to file in both States for state taxes... which form do I use... and are they pretty self...

Lived in 2 states but worked in one. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I lived and worked in VA for 8 months and then moved to NC where I bought a new home. I did not work in NC but I itemized taxes from the new home (real estate and mortgage Interest) . Do I file both states?

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

Employer's Wrong Doings [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have been victimized by an auto dealership. And now I have headaches reoccuring. Am going through workmans comp. and ssi now, but was told that some lawyer should take this case and get a better settlement out of it. Since I can't work at this same job or comparable jobs because of...

View more questions Search