Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hitchhiker2000 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 08:08 PM
    My Honda Civic Won't Start
    I read CroCivic's post about testing your Honda Civic, and there is some great information in there, but I have a 1991 Honda Civic 1.5 liter that won't start, but there is to fault code showing on the computer. The car had just pulled out from a stop at an intersection, and it just died. No sputter, nothing, just quit, and will not start back. There had been no indications of any stalling or loss of power before this. I have checked for spark (it's good) loosened the exhaust from the manifold to see if the catalytic converter was plugged (still no start), replaced the fuel filter and confirmed there is fuel under pressure at the connection to the throttle body. I tried to start the car with starting fluid, no dice. I confirmed that the timing belt is turning and the rocker arms are working. The engine cranks fine. I tried starting it with the throttle position sensor unhooked, Same deal.The distributer cap and rotor look OK (nothing broken and no carbon traces) but since they are over due for it anyway, I'm going to replace the cap, rotor, and wires and see if that helps, but I honestly don't think it will. Can anyone help me out on this one?

Jul 23, 2006, 08:55 PM
    Yes, the fuel pump does run between clicks, and the check engine light goes out after a couple of seconds.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 23, 2006, 10:11 PM
    If you get both fuel and spark, I'd check my timing next. Perhaps your timing belt slipped a tooth and is way off.

Jul 24, 2006, 05:49 AM
    Nope. Checked the valve timing today. It's right on.
    motocross_143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Hey I have the same problem with my honda
    itrubiuey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
    If spark & fuel not the issues then I suggest you guys check the compression. Normally need between 140-160psi to start the car.
    solemay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Hey there, I have a 91 civic cx and I am haing the same problem with my car. All the same issues, and all the same results. I replaced the fuel filter and pump thinking that was the problem, it wasn't, I have spark, I have fuel and I have compression. The timing belt has just been replaced and is timed properly, and no issues with the distributor... so I was just wondering if you ever got your car up and running again,and if so what did you do?
    mikecivic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 07:07 PM
    What keeps burning out the coal in my distribator
    Matsquach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Same issue with my '90 civic it sounds. Fuel, spark, timing, and fuses all checked and clear. I have a buddy coming over to check the compression now but I'm not even sure what to do with it if that is the problem. Any ideas how to fix that or anything else to look for if that's not the problem?
    btdc99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2012, 11:46 AM
    Check your gas some times if you fill the tank full the pressure in the tank needs to be released. Also you might have dirty gas it may look clean but there may be impurity's in the gas. I have a 95 honda civic and both of theses were my problems and she is running just fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic won't start [ 12 Answers ]

I have an '82 Honda Civic that won't start. With key turned to accessories and wipers turned on, when I move the positive battery clamp the wipers go on and dash lights as well. I turn the key to start and everything goes off. Turning the key back to accessories again, no lights... only if I go...

92 honda civic won't start HELP PLEASE [ 13 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I was looking around in this forum.. to see if I could get some answers to why my car is not turning over. It's a 1992 Honda Civic Lx. Its been sitting for 2 months b.c I can't figure out the problem. It wouldn't start at a gas station after putting 10 dollars of gas in it, even had...

95 honda civic won't start, help! [ 38 Answers ]

My 1995 civic will not start. I have never had a problem with this car before. The battery is fairly new; only about a year old. It cranks just fine with a normal starting sound, but nothing else happens. I've checked all the fuses and they're all fine. I thought it was flooded, so I tried starting...

89 Honda CIVIC: No Start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 89 Honda Civic that has not been started in over a year. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. It started and ran very reough for about 10 seconds. Now it has no spark and I don't hear a click when the ignition swaith is turned on. I checked and there is no blink on the ECU light....

88 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have. My Honda Civic recently stopped starting altogether (it hasn't been an intermittent problem, it simply stopped starting one day and hasn't started since). I had been driving it off and on for much of the day, but I the engine...

View more questions Search