Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sublime_chick03 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Hooked up little vintage Whirlpool washer and water leaks from drain pipe!
    Hello there!

I just moved in to an apartment and got a "vintage" little washer to use. I hooked up the water lines and everything on that end works fine. When I ran a test load, all was well until the water started draining out of the washer. Water started leaking from the drain pipe and I don't know what to do. I'm sure it's something simple and I would like to save calling a plumber and start some laundry tonight... Any suggestions?

Here are some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Washer

Hose

Hose in wall

Hose in wall

:D
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
    So where in the drain pipe is it leaking, around the hose where you are holding it?

Mar 16, 2008, 10:17 PM
    Hello Harold! I'm a leftie too!

The water comes out of the white pipe when the black pipe is in the wall.

Mar 16, 2008, 10:27 PM
    That means you either have a blocked or partially blocked pipe;
    or the pipe is to small for the volumn of water that the washer puts out. I can't tell from the picture what its size is. It should be 1 1/2" minimum.

Try this, got some duct tape? Put the hose in the pipe and tape it up to seal the pipe. What is happening is the washer is puting out the water faster than it can drain down the pipe. This is quite common with newer washers but I am suprised that it would occur with a "vintage" washer.

If you find that the washer tends to get out of balance you may have to remove the tape.

Left hand = right brain = left handed people are only people in their right mind

Mar 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Harold,

That sounds like that might be the problem.. Do you think I should try pouring some Drano down the line?

I thought it was odd that the little ol washer would put out water faster than it could drain.. I checked the black hose and it's probably 1" in diameter.. The white pipe coming out of the wall is about 2" in diameter..

Scratching my head :)

Mar 16, 2008, 10:47 PM
    You could try Drano, don't think it will help. You may have to have line snaked out. It may have something in the trap that is partially blocking the flow. If you have the tape try taping the connection closed. Maybe the force of the water will clear the line. If you don't have the tape just stuff old cloth in around the hose inside of the pipe to seal. I am assuming that the water drains, just not fast enough.

Mar 16, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Harold..

You're speaking my language :)

I have some plumber's tape and I wrapped it quite well around the hose and pipe. I'm running a cycle as I type to see what happens.

I'm crossing my fingers :)

Mar 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Harold..

I ran a test load and there were no leaks. I'm trying out a load of jeans to see what happens.

Thank you so much for your help my fellow leftie.

Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need washer drain pipe installed, now washer stand pipe is backing up. [ 3 Answers ]

I've had to route my washer drain out of my septic system (drain fields are bad). In the house crawl space the washer pipe 2" pvc came through the floor one bend (elbow) and 3' of travel to the septic cast iron pipe down to the septic tank. I cut into the pvc just past the elbow (maybe 2' past)...

Water pipe leaks [ 6 Answers ]

We had a water pipe repaired outside of our home a couple of years ago. Back in July of this year the water company put in new water meters, when we got our first bill it said we used 40,000 gallons of water in 2 days ( impossible, seems how this house is NOT occupied ) water company came out,...

Should there be water in the washer drain pipe? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, First off, thanks to all the insightful info on this board! I recently got a newer washing machine. I live in an apartment in a condo building and was experiencing water coming back out the drain pipe. At first my building mangager told me they were experiencing clogs in the...

Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands... My question is: I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and...

Washer leaks at drain [ 3 Answers ]

The drain pipe in the bottom rear of my washer leaked when I moved to clean floor behind it. When I removed clamp, about a quart of water flowed out which I guess means it did not drain completely. What should I do?

View more questions Search