Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheascavies Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 09:39 PM
    Guinea Pigs and Mites
    I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online, but have no idea where.

Also, I have seen something I think called Zimectin or something like that, that is used for horses. I wan't to say it says 1% Ivermectin. Can that be used?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Brittanyiscool Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2006, 02:21 PM
    The Ivermectin for horses can be used, as long as it's in paste form - you should give them a pea size drop once a week for three weeks. There are possibilites of overdose but it's rare - as long as you pay attention to how much you give them.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 4, 2006, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheascavies
    I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online, but have no idea where.

Also, I have seen something I think called Zimectin or something like that, that is used for horses. I wan't to say it says 1% Ivermectin. Can that be used?

Do not use the Zimectin, you will over dose them on it and will kill them, Ivermectin can be purchaced from any livestock store, like agway,

For the ivermectin, give .01 mg(super small amount) to them orally once a week for four weeks,

***note ***

Please read completely

http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_oral.html
    loplady2003 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheascavies

Hi there, Ivermectin paste(small amount, pea size ) orally will work. Can be given monthly a preventative. Mites can be picked up from shavings and seem to be specific to the cavies(not humans) Maybe natural host are squirrels? Anyway treat caviary of 70 pigs for years will no adverse affect. Frontline or revolution from vet will work. Also have been told Epinex(liquid for horses at Tractor Supply) has been used like revolution on cavies with success by some breeders, and is very inexpensive.(This is for topical use NOT injested as with the ivermectin paste)Good luck with your piggies
    Crystal_Angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Hello, I came across this question in my own search. I have looked at the link given for the Ivermectin, as my GP has mites, but no pet store or anywhere near me sells mite stuff anymore. I have checked everywhere, but one store said that if I can get the name of a good one that people recommend he will talk to his distributors about getting me some for him as soon as possible.
    My problem is this... my GP is a dwarf. He is no bigger than the palm of your hand, and he is getting no bigger. So, my question is this, would the Ivermectin still be good for him or would I be risking over dosing him because he is so small?
    If so is there something else that you can recommend that I can get, I hate seeing him like this and want to find a solution as soon as possible.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    UBetcha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Hello, I just joined so that I could answer and possibly help Crystal Angel re: her dwarf. For my 2lb piggy, my vet prescribed the Revolution (selamectin) for puppies/kitties less than 5 lbs (pink box), with one tube (topical) once per week x 3 weeks. So, perhaps if you weighed your pig, you could divide the dose accordingly. My vet would not be considered an expert in the field, and may be overtreating, as on other sites I read that one dose was sufficient but I'm going to play it safe and do 3. Can get Revolution online or in pet stores but sounds more expensive than the Ivermectin paste (wish I'd found this site before my $160 vet bill -- I had already made the dx myself but read that it was treated via Ivermectin injections by a vet; I also have 4 other piggies that required prophylaxis). So hopefully this info can help solve your dilemma, but I am an MD not a DVM, and defer to the advice from the experts;perhaps Lilfyre may be more familiar with the dosing of selamectin. Don't delay treatment as the infestation can become quite serious (see also guinealynx.com )
    Crystal_Angel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Thank you for the response, I actually took him to a vet for them, and it only cost me $5 to get him treated. The mites are all gone and he is feeling much better now.
    They weighed him and he is only 6oz. He is literally that small. The size of the palm of your hand and won't get any bigger. I know there is no such thing as a dwarf hamster really, but I don't know what else to call him with his size :)
    Thanks a bunch for the help I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but my little girl had 2 guinea pigs, both female. I went to feed them earlier and discovered one of them had died. Is there anything I need to do for the other guinea as I know she'll be lonely without her pal?

Possible ringworm in guinea pig [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what over the counter medication can be used for a guinea pig with possible ringworm? Thanks

Revolution topical medication for guinea pigs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have three guinea pigs. The older one is very sick and is being treated by the vet for Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and a kidney disease. The younger two show no signs of the mites and seem perfectly healthy. Obviously, they must be treated but, frankly, the shots from the vet are too expensive. ...

Ear mites [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Our lab is itching his left ear quite a bit and shakes his head. There is a slight odor and there is debris in both ears. I called the vet and she said that it could be ear mites. How can we check for this? Is there anything that we could do for him from home or should we take him to the...

My kitty has mites and now I do [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a himilayan kitten. When I got home I looked him over he was bold all on his tummy,back legs and a little bit of the front legs I also found out a few days later he has mites I am pretty sure they are ear mites because his ears are full of black so I started treting him with...

View more questions Search