Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbmystic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Is 72 hours a safe time for EtG testing?
    Hello,

I go to a pain clinic and they will randomly drug test participants. I am fortunate, however, in that I do not have to take pain medication every day or even every week, so even though I'm not supposed to, I do drink occasionally because I know I am not and will not be taking medication. I drank about 4 vodka and grapefruits Saturday night, ending at 12:00 a.m. I am 5'2" about 110 pounds. Will I pass an EtG test with 100 cutoff after 72 hours of last drink?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Four drinks at 72 hours should be EtG clear. In the future you might consider another mixer. Grapefruit juice interferes with the metabolism of alcohol by way of inhibiting the CYP2E1 enzyme and probably creates more EtG as a result.

EtG testing isn't usually part of standard drug screening. Are you certain you are tested for alcohol?
    cbmystic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
    I found out we were tested for alcohol because I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to drink... I thought it meant if I was taking medication obviously. When I was tested the clinic had just started testing for alcohol and we all had to sign new contracts. At the time the doctor laughed and said about 15% of people tested positive for alcohol with huge amounts in their system ( not me) so I fiugured they did a regular urine test because I had consumed alcohol the night before, but I also had no medication in my system which I thought was okay.

Anyway, they changed to Millennium Labs which does EtG testing, and I wondered if EtG is an initial test, or is it expensive and only used on certain populations? How does testing in these clinics work? Just to clarify, if I stopped on Sunday at 12:00 a.m. and test on Wednesday the EtG will not be detectable?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
    The fact that the doctor mentioned amount of alcohol would indicate that the test is normal urine for ethanol. EtG cannot quantify amount consumed or when.

It would be my suspicion that it is not EtG given the circumstances. While the initial screen for EtG is not particularly expensive it is a separate test and would complicate the testing process due to being instrument based.

Either way, EtG would not be detectable at the time span noted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a person drank 1.5 gallons of water six hours prior to EtG testing, [ 1 Answers ]

What are the chances of the sample being dilute? If a sample is dilute, is EtG still detectable?

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

EtG testing... can I pass in 48 hours after having 3 drinks in an hour period [ 22 Answers ]

I had three drinks in an hour period at ten am on sun.I had my urine sent out for EtG testing at ten thirty tues am.am I safe?

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

View more questions Search