Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pstyson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Fan setting on a heat thermostat
    Can you explain to me what this setting is for? We do not have central air but the "fan" option is on the thermostat. I put the setting on "cool", then "fan" and set the thermostat temp for 60 degrees. Cool air came out for about a half hour and cut off automatically and did not come back on. I was hoping this would work as a means of eliminating the hot summer heat in our house.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Turn the tstat to off as in heat-off-cool.

Then turn the fan to ON s in auto-on

It will circulate air and because you don't have AC or hot air returns, the air should be cool. The hot air will still be at the top of the room.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why the fan should have shut off unless the fan switch was set in the Auto position.

The fan might help. What could help even more is to have a window open where it's cool to use the return to bring air into the house. e.g. Take an unused room with a window on the cool portion of the house with a ceiling fan. Have the window open and the ceiling fan blowing down. This would draw outside air down toward the floor and the "cold air return" to be circulated through the rest of the house.

Jun 9, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    Turn the tstat to off as in heat-off-cool.

Then turn the fan to ON s in auto-on

It will circulate air and because you don't have AC or hot air returns, the air should be cool. The hot air will still be at the top of the room.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why the fan should have shut off unless the fan switch was set in the Auto position.

The fan might help. What could help even more is to have a window open where it's cool to use the return to bring air into the house. e.g. Take an unused room with a window on the cool portion of the house with a ceiling fan. Have the window open and the ceiling fan blowing down. This would draw outside air down toward the floor and the "cold air return" to be circulated through the rest of the house.

I'd previously followed all of the suggested steps however, the unit does not come back on at all.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
    If you set the fan to ON like KISS says it should stay on 24/7 /365. The option of ON/AUTO keeps the fan always on or it comes on automatically when the furnace is running. Double check your setting, find ON/AUTO and be 100% sure your are set for ON.

Jun 10, 2008, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    If you set the fan to ON like KISS says it should stay on 24/7 /365. The option of ON/AUTO keeps the fan always on or it comes on automatically when the furnace is running. Double check your setting, find ON/AUTO and be 100% sure your are set for ON.

There are three settings on the left side of the stat; cool, off and heat. On the left side theres' two; fan on and auto.

I've selected cool and then fan on. Nothing happens.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Sounds like you have a heat/cool tstat,, but you said you don`t have aircondition, I think,, if the green wire (or any color) is not wired to the g post on Tstat and to a fan control in your furnace,, its not going to make your fan work

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem heat pump thermostat "EM" setting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem model no. RHQA 1000B heat pump, but previous homeowner left no manual for it. I am puzzled at the "EM" setting on the thermostat. I would also like to download/obtain an operation manual for this unit.

Heat setting [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ny state and own a house with an apartment what is the correctthermasate setting for heat is the heat to be set at 68 degress or 72 degress > Where can I look up this information

Programmable Thermostat, Fan runs, Heat/Air do not run in Auto setting [ 10 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell, RTH230B. My connections are: R to Rh (red jumper to Rc that came with the unit) W to W Y to Y G to G B to nothing The fan comes on (when set to "on").

View more questions Search