Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlyssaC Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 09:06 PM
    I got no direction
    I'm confused on what to do next with my life... I'm in college and I have no idea what I want to dedicate the rest of my life to. I feel like it's a really important decision and something that should be well thought out, but I'm not sure where to begin. This is actually making me really depressed because it's like I have no path way or structure without knowing exactly what I want to do. Any suggestions?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 09:11 PM

Welcome to the club! I went to college, worked, raised kids, and then decided at 43 what career path I REALLY wanted -- and then I changed my mind again. I'm retired and still not sure what I want to do with my life.
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Dec 11, 2010, 09:17 PM
    You are not alone. A good percentage of people change careers even after completing a degree and working in their field. I started as "education"... then changes my Major to "graphic design". I love graphic design, but have been thinking of another area.

I was SCARED when I came out of college. I went through a period of depression and anxiety. Finally I realized, just go with the flow. And hope for the best.

Trust me, you will make it! As long as you look forward to it. Try not to let life get to you, and don't take it all too serious. Have fun with it ;)

Dec 11, 2010, 09:22 PM
    Comment on sharper11's post
    Thank you so much, that was extremely helpful and liberating.

Dec 11, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Thank you! I guess I should go with the flow... and see where it brings me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 09:27 PM

Having worked at some major colleges, few students really "know" what they want to do, and those that say they do, change it all the time.

And many people latter in life don't end up working in the area they went to college for at first.
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Dec 11, 2010, 09:29 PM
    Comment on sharper11's post
    No problem alyssaC. Keep your head up :)

Dec 11, 2010, 09:36 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    That's true, I guess I should take life one day at a time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 10:19 PM

My younger son went to a small Midwestern college and got a degree in Creative Writing and Studio Art. After graduation, he couldn't find a job in those fields. (Surprise!) He worked in a bank, as a house parent for handicapped young men, for Joint Commission (a company that rates hospitals and nursing homes), for a telecommunications company, and now moves potatoes all over the US from farms to factories to fast-food restaurants and grocery stores, so you can eat yummy french fries. In his private life, he is a web master (creative writing and graphic design) and helps people create and build business web sites.

Everything you learn and every job you work in helps you grow and become a smarter, more well-rounded person for the next opportunity that will come your way. There's really no one career path. Life is full of surprises. I have skipped around on several paths at the same time and detoured from one to another. I have had a wonderful, exciting, and interesting life with new challenges and opportunities to learn. Always be open to the possibilities!
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2010, 02:27 AM

You have been given great advice,just to add,what is it you want to do?

What are you good at?

If you don't know,find out by trying different things,once you hit on something you love to do the rest will fall into place.

I'm 38 and only finding out now what I love to do, and then had to figure out how to get paid for it!

You'll get there,keep asking yourself the questions and you will find the answers.

Dec 12, 2010, 08:05 PM
    Comment on redhed35's post
    Thanks so much! I really like music, but I'm afraid it won't take care of the financial end. I can sing, play the drums, play the guitar.. you name it, ill play it... but finacially where does this take me.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2010, 11:34 PM

What about work in the music industry?

Could you be a sound engineer? What types of jobs are available in the music businees?

You could try and do some research and find out what's available. Its never to late to make a new start.

Or work away and start a band, enjoy the financial side of 9 to 5 and your music in the evening and weekends.
    coco5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 01:07 PM
    Learn from my mistakes - do the things that you love only, or it's too late. I graduated from a good institute in one field, and after working in the industry for a couple of years now - I'm bored with it.

See what is it that you like, learn it. If you're really into it, you may come up with a few ideas to build your own start up, or end up in the Academy.

You could always give up as I do - and complain most of the time - that's the easy way out. And every day that passes I regret it more. Do what you like, there's no escape.

Dec 25, 2010, 08:15 PM
    Comment on coco5's post
    Thanks that's really honest and upfront of you.

Dec 25, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Comment on coco5's post
    Which is helpful when people face their mistakes, that way you can help other people. That's brave of you to admit your faults, at least you're a chill person. Thanks so much.

Dec 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Comment on coco5's post
    Oh and you can always go back to school or take up some hobbies so your not so bored.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need direction [ 3 Answers ]

I know I've hurt my daughter. I tried to kill myself over a year and 1/2 ago because we were in such debt and I could not see a way out, I fight depression and am bi-polar. My daughter has been very depressed also and I know she is holding things inside of her. I've gotten her to see a...

Need legal direction [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Ohio and mother in law passed away in August 2006. Having problem with attorneys and judge in probate court. Mother in law left Revocable Living Trust along with a pour over will. Judge is making ruling on property held strictly in the Trust which has never been filed with the probate...

The right direction... [ 4 Answers ]

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help and support through my vunerability. I kept my doors open and I am finally starting to cross through to the other side. Pete and I seem to be getting even closer. I had not seen him for a couple of days last week and we went out with friends on...

View more questions Search