Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

May 28, 2009, 09:57 AM
    How to Watercolor
    Hi, I took a sketching class earlier this spring. During the class, the instructor introduced us to using watercolor. I've been using it and would like to learn more. I've googled and bought a couple of books and checked out a couple of books from the library. The next community course doesn't start until next Fall. Finally, some of the local artist who give private instructioin ask a lot of money. So, I'm hoping that someone could help me here.
    1) after wetting down the paper, how long do you wait before you start painting? Do you wet both sides of the paper or just the one? How do you prevent curling?
    2) do you sketch the image before you wet the paper or after?
    3) When you throw on salt, does the paper have to be real wet or somewhat dry? Do you have to wait until the paint dries completely to remove the salt and then paint again? I threw salt on one of my sketches and now I can't rub the salt off (too much maybe). That can't be good.
    4) What is 'scrubbing' the paper?
    5) Can you mix tube paint with tub paint or even watercolor pencils? Actually, I know you can, but are there any particular techniques to do or to avoid?
    6) Finally, all the books say to use plastic credit cards to remove color and water, is there a reason not to use a metal palatte knife?
    Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ruth h lee watercolor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a watercolor that came through the family that is of a fishing village with a sign that says Ask for Maria. It was done by Ruth H Lee. I was just wondering what the approximate value would be. Thanks!

Sailboat watercolor [ 3 Answers ]

I have watercolor of a sailboat. The letters on one of the boats appear to be LUZNE. The artist signature is just initials- appearing to be WAC and possibly a date of 1-6-61 or 01. The watercolor is about 8"x12". Any information?

Watercolor paper [ 1 Answers ]

I am curious to know what different weight paper is about. I see advertised 80 lb, 140 lb and 300 lb paper but wonder what effect this will have on my artwork... also coldpressed and hot pressed. I think I understand that one is grainy and rough surface and other is smooth... I prefer a little...

Watercolor paintings overworked [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.. I am pretty new but am having difficulty overworking my watercolor painting that is to be put in a show on the 24th. I don't know whether to worry about it or do it over. Also want to know what to do when there are so many things to paint - how do you decide what you want to do. Have one...

View more questions Search