Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Molly2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Divorce Law
    I am currently in the middle of a nasty divorce from my ex wife. The house that we lived in for 15 years was given to both of us as a wedding present from her parents who are both still alive. Both our names are on the deeds and we have a small mortgage on it which was used to clear off some debts around 4 years ago, both my ex and my names are on the mortgage.

Her parents have now said that the house was only given to her and I was only living it as a guest, can you clarify the situation for me, many thanks

PS. The house was bought for £64,000.00 and now worth around £500,000.00

Mike
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Her parents can say it was just a gift but it was a gift to both of you - both your names on the mortgage and the deeds means you both own that home. Let the court settle this - the house may be sold and the profits split between the two of you, unless one can buy the other one out. But her parents are being parents and sticking up for their daughter. If it had been your parents buying the house - they would be saying the same thing for you.
    Let your attorney take care of this. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in mass with my husband for 14 yrs but married 4 years. We have 3 children but he does not add my name on the house which is paid for. If I get dirvoce what is me tittle to have? What about the house situation?

Divorce Law in Arkansas [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Tennessee and my wife will soon have lived in Arkansas with her parents for ninety days. If I sign no papers whatsoever, how long does it take for the divorce to become final?

Arkansas divorce law [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know what is Arkansas state law about divorce matter. How long a marriage should continue before spouse is eligible for half of the property.

View more questions Search