Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jun 11, 2009, 10:35 AM
    A day late and about $3 trillion short
    After spending trillions of dollars on failed bailouts, TARP and economic stimulus that hasn't stimulated anything, Obama has been watching the polls. These polls show that while his personal approval numbers are at around 67%, the support for his POLICIES is at about 30%. Eventually, he realizes, if this trend continues, his policy numbers (a lack of approval for his policies) will end up pulling down his personal approval numbers.

So he is acting as quickly as possible.

His action: to propose "paygo". That is, to propose a balanced budget amendment that requires "pay as you go", wherein the government cannot spend a dollar that it doesn't have. It cannot spend without either earning that money in some way, or else cutting it from another part of the budget.

In concept, I like the idea of "paygo". It is a concept that a whole bunch of conservatives have supported for a long time.

However, there are several items that bother me.

The first is that "paygo" could be used as an excuse to raise taxes, ei: "We NEED this 'tunnel to nowhere' in order to create make-work programs, and since we have "We NEED this 'tunnel to nowhere' in order to create make-work programs, and since we have " we will need to raise taxes in order to pay for it." Every little item that the Obama admin decides "" we will need to raise taxes in order to pay for it." to be done will result in an increase in taxes to pay for it, rather than resulting in a decrease in spending elsewhere.

Another thing that bothers me is that this is being proposed by the man who just created the single largest spending program in US history, resulting in the quadrupling of the budget deficit, trillions in new debt for our children, and massive inflation that we haven't even BEGUN to see yet. And he's proposing it as a way to do spin control, rather than as a way to actually balance the budget. Talk about a day late and a dollar (or three trillion dollars) short.

And finally, what bothers me most is that he is specifically EXCLUDING healthcare reform from his "needs" proposal. That is, he's saying that anything that the government spends in order to nationalize healthcare will not be subject to "paygo", which means he can spend us into increased poverty for his healthcare reform agenda. Which essentially means that this "paygo" proposal is nothing but a farce.

What say you?

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 10:59 AM

Definitely a farce. He'll have no choice but to raise taxes to pay for all of his outrageous, totally irresponsible spending so there goes another flop. If we're making less than $250,000 our taxes won't go up a dime wasn't it?

Everything he says should be under suspicion. He wasn't interested in the government running car companies and banks, right? When it comes to his healthcare proposal he's only interested in providing Americans a "public option." Is that all he means?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 11:55 AM

The history of "paygo " is a history of broken promises that extend to both parties. Before this last reincarnation Nancy Pelosi and co. promised the same pablum to get the blue dogs to hitch a ride. Pelosi claimed the Republicans let paygo provisions slide . Reinstated them and in less than a year abandoned them.

Either way they are lying according to the Wall Street Journal because there are built in exceptions .paygo only applies to new or expanded entitlement programs, not to existing programs such as Medicare. Nor does paygo apply to discretionary spending.Even as Obama announced the latest reincarnation ,the House Appropriations Committee approving a 12% increase in 2010 nondefense discretionary spending.
    Or consider that the 2010 budget resolution included a $2 billion increase for low-income heating assistance as an entitlement change that should be subject to paygo. But Congressional Democrats simply classified it as discretionary spending, thereby avoiding the need for $2 billion in cuts elsewhere. C'est-la-paygo.
    Mr. Obama's new proposal includes even more loopholes. There's an exception for Congress's annual alternative-minimum tax "patch," which is worth at least $576 billion over 10 years; for any of the Bush tax cuts that Mr. Obama decides he wants to extend past 2010; and to protect against planned cuts in Medicare doctor payments. These carve-outs alone spare Democrats from having to come up with some $2.5 trillion in spending cuts or new taxes. To add insult to profligacy, the rules also allow the Administration to run huge early deficits for its looming health-care bonanza, and only pay for it later -- say, after 2012.
    The 'Paygo' Coverup - WSJ.com
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jun 11, 2009, 02:08 PM

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

Obama has fooled much of the public several times already. That doesn't say much for our collective IQ does it?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 02:12 PM
    The new Obamacare posters are out... I like this one:

inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 11, 2009, 08:03 PM

Heck, even MsNBC can see through this.

Will health insurance ?haves? pay for ?have-nots?? - White House- msnbc.com

Obama’s new openness to the idea stands in contrast to what he said six months ago as a presidential candidate, when he harshly criticized his Republican rival, Sen. John McCain, for proposing that employer-provided benefits should be taxed

HOw does Obama do that talking out of of his gluteus thing? ;) Should he be pulling a Jim Carey? :)

G&P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Channel 4 Late Night Short Animation [ 1 Answers ]

Right, this is quite a long shot but here goes: I think its was around 2000-2002, back when Channel 4 used to show late-night short films and animations, usually of a dark and creepy nature. This one time I was watching this short I remember was called ''The French Doors'', after that there...

Ten Trillion Dollars [ 43 Answers ]

This is not a political debate, this is a question, How can people feel comfortable with this number as our national debt? And with no real plan to ever pay it down, only to ever increase. This is a question I can not wrap my head around. I can't help but entertain the idea that by the time...

What can you buy with $1.5 TRILLION!? [ 9 Answers ]

A SHED load of bad debt and bankrupt companies!! BBC NEWS | Business | US Fed announces $800bn stimulus So that's $800 BILLION on top of the $700 Billion already thrown down the money pit of the banks own design. How much further will the US authorities go? Now with all of this "cash"...

Late short period, now brown discharge? [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks for reading this in advance! This is my situation, any expeirence or advice appreciated! 5-7 Got my period 6 days late 5-10 Ended my period 5-22 Spotting brown discharge Does this sound like I could possibly be pregnant? Does this sound familiar to anyone! Ps.. I had 3 dreams...

Some VERY short books and short films inspired by our times [ 1 Answers ]

Some more very short books AND their accompanying movie adaptations 1) The complete Iraqi WMD photo album by Donald Rumsfeld Original title: "Don't look at me! I thought WMD's were a deli sandwich!" a great short film as well: YouTube - RUMSFELD'S BEST

View more questions Search